Linx Implant to Cure Reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

What do you guys think of the Linx implant? Has anybody had this surgery?

I found out about it on Youtube, but most videos seemed like advertisement.

Anyhow the Linx implant seemed less radical than the Fundoplication in which they wrap the stomach around and stich it all together.

The Linx surgery seems reversible at least, whereas the Fundoplication surgery is not.

I'm seriously considering the Linx but would like more information on side effects, such as what is life like living with metal/magnets inside your body? 

Would I set off alarms on banks, store, airports?

What if I accidentaly get and MRI done, what kind of damage would that do to my belly?

Can the metal parts of the Linx device glue to each other, perhaps due to tissue forming around them, preventing it from dilating and impeding my swallowing?

If anybody has any info or experience with this device please let know.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have reservations about Linx. I have followed its development for a number of years. But it is sold on half truths.

Firstly Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication is reversible if necessary. (I had mine reversed prior to Collis-Nissen revision.)

Secondly you can burp and vomit after LNF. I burped before leaving hospital the day after my operation (the next day).

The operation tio implant Linx is only slightly less invasive than LNF but the patient wouldn't know. You still have 5 puncture wounds and are out during the procedure.

They don't tell you about the drawbacks of Linx since they are tryng to sell it to you.

1. 63% experience swallowing difficulties. You need to have good peristalsis and take swallow a sufficiently dense bolus to push the magnets apart.

2. It doesn't repair a hiatus hernia. They will only implant Linx if there's a small hernia (or none). They can pull the hernia back into place but it can slide back.

3. If needed, a CT scan can only be done at low power: a) because it's a ring of magnets that will be attracted by an extremely powerful one, and b) because induced electric currents in the wire ring can cause serious burning.

4. In follow up, 85% reported not needing daily PPIs - compared to 95% who had LNF.

5. Long term data is not yet available. (Their claimed long term data is only up to 10 years. LNF has been performed for over 20 years.)

6. We don't know whether the device may migrate or whether cellular overgrowth may reduce the effcacy of the magnetc closure. (Toraz medical, the manufacturers, confided in me 7 years ago they were worried about possible migration which is why they don't recommend it for Barrett's atients or anyone receiving regular endoscopies.)

7. Will the moving magnets cause erosion to the adventia (outer wall of the oesophagus)? 1n the 1970's there was a device ("Angelchik" ) that was effectively like putting a rubber band around the oesophagus. Many were flocking to have the implant. However, 20 years down the line the stampede was to have it removed as it had started causing erosion problems.

8. It costs at least twice as much as LNF. Although it can be implanted in UK under NHS, it's unlikely as LNF is till the gold standard and cheaper. In US many insurance companies won't pay for it deeming it experimental still.

Read about Linx and Angelchik and a host of other reflux reduction techniques in the section of the www DownWithAcid org uk book entitled "Reflux reduction Techniques."

• Posted

Hi,

I had a fundopliaction 10 years ago and it has failed in a way that leaves my condition  worse than it was before the operation. Surgeons seem very reluctant to undertake a "redo". I would never have this procedure if there was any alternative and so I would expore every other avenue and use a fundoplication as a last resort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.