Linx post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just over one week ago had the LINX procedure after years of reflux. It got to the stage where I was unable to function not being able to sleep properly, eat properly,without being sick the list is endless but since the op they have all vanished straight away but...... I have gas like I've never known, belching after food, it gets worse as the day goes on and it smells disgusting . My stomach is also distended and I feel bloated a lot of the time. I'm hoping it's just my stomach getting used to the changes and it'll pass. Can anyone advise please ?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hope you feel better soon. Have not had this surgery and do not know anyone who has but it has helped and things can only get better. You cannot carry on having refluxl instead as it can get worse and worse.
  • Posted

It sounds like some bacterial activity. What does your doctor say about it?
    • Posted

Doctors know very little - if anything - about bacterial activity.
    • Posted

I havnt spoke yet I have a follow up at the hosp in 5 weeks time I just thought it was a bit early to go running back so soon after the op so I just thought someone may help on here 
    • Posted

I suggest that you try a biotic that is for bloating, a low dose to be on the safe side. Never had this problem myself so cannot tell you what I did. But I do agree that if they say come back in five weeks it is far too soon to say to them that you want help with it now, they will just say see how it goes, give it more time. Five weeks sounds about right to me but you can always try to help it along in the meantime. Optibacs do a weeks course with a biotic that supposedly flattens your stomach for about £8.50, you might even get it cheaper if you go to another place. If you ask them to send it that would be plus post and packing. You could also try bran or fibre and see if that helps. It may well just settle down over the weeks.
    • Posted

Carmel, Doctors  know about life treatening bacterial activities, that is why our life expenctancy went up from 30 to +- 80 years old. More subtle effects of bacteria in our guts is being heavily studied right now by scientists.

Lovelane, I am not a doctor and I don't know much about what could cause what you have but I would ask the doctor. Are you having diarrhea? Are you taking acid reducers? Have you eaten carbohydrates that are difficult to digest (cabbage family, lentils, beans, sugar in -ol, fibers)? You probably know that some bacteria feed off the non digested sugars in our gut and cause bloating.

• Posted

I'm on a specific diet post LINX procedure. I'm keeping off cabbage and having a normal ish diet, obviously keeping away from foods I feel may hinder my recovery but I have to strengthen the sphincter by eating some fibrous foods to a lesser extent  I had a Lille bit of a stomach upset the first few days but not as much now. I've been told to come off all pi meds and thankfully I don't need them as the symptoms have all but gone. It's obviously a dietary thing as it only happens after I've eaten  though I'm ok with fibre for breakfast, I've been told to k,ep off bread crusts, pasta, rice and pizza !
    • Posted

Well the doctors I have spoken to did not understand about biotics and good bacteria at all. Nor nutrition etc.

I still say that Lovelane has to balance his gut flora correctly or wait for it to settle down.

My doctor came to see me about my stomach yesterday and when I said about biotics she looked at me and said what are they? I had to tell her what they were? I have had the same with other doctors. Maybe you have been luckier or maybe I have just met many more doctors or both?

A naturopath is the person to go to for nutrition etc advice not a doctor. Lovelane is right in saying that fibre will help to repair or keep a splincter strong. The doctor would not know this usually. I doubt the surgeon would either. I agree with yuo that some bacteria feed off non digested sugars, this is why people should never eat fruit together with other foods.

• Posted

I was going to recommend probiotics too to help balance the bacterial flora but probiotics can cause bloating at first.

Lovelane, if you stopped the ppi recently, there must be some changes in the balance of bacteria in your guts. Also I am not sure if you eat more or less fibers, but more fibers could cause gas as well. Enzymes might help too but I don't know about them. Sorry to not be of much help.

• Posted

I was suggesting you contact the doctor though because that in rare case when using ppi some people get infections with the bacteria c. difficile. But from what I read, you would have diarrhea and worse side effects.
    • Posted

If the ppis wipe out too many of the good flora that is when you can get candida or a bad imbalance and problems, from what I have researched and it can get far worse than just diarrhea.
    • Posted

Maybe you can eat bread, pasta, rice pizza if they are the healthy or gluten free varieties?
    • Posted

No Carmel it's not because of what they contain it's due to the LINX band, I can't as yet digest foods like that for 6 weeks or so...hence the omelette
    • Posted

Well omelettes are delicious anyway and quick and nutritious, could eat them every day if they were advised.
    • Posted

Never mind. What are yo doing today? Ive got some work, some gardening, some dogs, a friend coming over and then out shopping. Is it omelette again today?
    • Posted

Just having a clear out then going to clear my head walking along the seafront watching the water.   .ove it x
    • Posted

Hello Lovelane09,

I was wondering how you are,one year after the linx surgery?

Do you still got bloating or belching wich smells like sulphur?Is the reflux still gone?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.