LINX PROCEDURE FOR REFLUX EXCESSIVE PHLEGM IN THROAT

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. Im 45 year old male singer (Sinatra) and after years of suffering with acid reflux and several years on pantoprazole (protonix 2x a day for 8 years) And afetr canceling a few shows, I knew it was time to get better- pnly I didn't!!!

Basically, I went for the LINX bc the Nissem Fundoplication seemed to aggressive . Thing is, and maybe Im nuts, but has ANYONE else had a the LINX procedure done where there is a predominance of phlegm in the throat area, necessitating repeated clearing, specifically after meals.

It so bad I havent worked in a year and my voice is damaged to voice abuse (clearing). Ive tried every spray, prednisone, a sinoplasty, claritins,  gave up dairy and gluten for three weeks and no change. I think its the Linx but my doctor says Im nuts.( So does my wife but thats a different forum. Thanks I'll be here all night folks.)Thanks 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I'm not an expert but I also have voice problems,(not a singer) have only last week had the fundoplication operation, The doctor advised beforehand that the voice and throat symptoms are less reliably fixed. My voice is playing up today actually, I am still on a very soft diet of course, before the op the voice problem  would come and go, hopefully it goes. Could we both have an upper sphincter problem, who knows? I took the option for the operation as when I was tested it showed that the acid was going into my lungs and up to nose - I have ear symptoms as well, on another day the test might have picked this up. So I suppose I haven't been much help, but totally sympathise with you as it is interfering with your work prospects.

• Posted

One of the problems with LINX is it can require a heavy bolus of food to open it sufficiently. Some lighter material (eg saliva) may just reside above the magnetic ring whence it can conceivablt work its way to the upper sphincter and aspirate causing your problems?
  • Posted

Did you experience any side effects while on protonix 2x a day for 8 years? What was the dosage you were taking?
  • Posted

Hi Aydum

I had the Linx procedure 4 weeks ago and first 2 weeks dreadful mucus. 

It’s calmed down now but still get from time to time . My surgeon said some food may be sitting on top of the Linx causing this . I am seeing him in 3 months . 

Do you still have it ? Have you seen your consultant about it ?

I need to give mine time but will go back if still have it in 3 months .

Thanks grace 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.