Linx surgery for acid reflux

Posted , 135 users are following.

Has anyone esperienced this relatively new surgery for acid reflux which doesnt respond to drugs.

Or does anyone know anything about it. It is much es invasive than the nissen fondiplication op. done by day surgery I think. My gastro ent. didnt mention it but I thought I might investiage.just out of interest as a possible future option if all else fails. I am having so much trouble with side effects from

drugs and not much effect on my acid reflux either still getting reflux at night and quite sore throat.

Any comments welcome.

5 likes, 545 replies

545 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Linda, I don't know about this operation but I have posted my comments about the Nissen op as I have a hiatus hernia and Barrett's Oesophagus. That is the danger with acid reflux, it turning to the precancerous condition. I take plenty H2 antacids as I tried proton pump inhibitors but had very bad side effects. I don't want to keep taking them as I am prone to b12 deficiency which someone on here thinks it's nothing to worry about but I disagree. What's the point in eating a healthy diet when your stomach can't absorb the nutrients due to not enough acid in the stomach! So my operation is to fix my HH and hopefully stop the risk of my BO turning cancerous. An operation is the solution to these problems but obviously the NHS is reluctant to do so many!
  • Posted

Hi all, I have been diagnosed with GORD and I can honestly say the lifestyle change is dramatic. Low Fat diet, low sugar intake and strictly NO cafferine or citrus. not to mention the strict medications you have to take for god knows how long, how expensive is that?

My hiusband had a Fundiplication done over 20 years ago and has not looked back, NO more meds, No strict diet or lifestyle change oh do i wish they would suggest that for me!

Why oh Why do they not offer this to all us suffers?

surly it would be cheaper i.e. cost effective?

I just can not understand why

• Posted

Hi I see from your message that your husband had the surgery. I have suffered with reflex for two years. My main Symptom is acid burning my mouth. What symptoms do you get.
    • Posted

I agree. i have a long term problem with acid reflux into my throat and control it by a strict diet as you do, but also need meds. You would think an operation would be more cost effective than a lifetime of medication. The NHS are addicted to pills!

• Posted

Responding from Colorado: I had Silent/LPR which caused a large mass to grow in my trachea - what I thought had been difficulty breathing from repeated sinus infections turned out to be a 65% blockage of the trachea.

After removal of the mass in late Dec 2012, no amount of drugs would stop the reflux from escaping my esophagus and reaching my airway - so scar tissue started growing back again in the trachea. NOT GOOD!

After a series of tests to confirm the extent of LPR and to discover Stage 1 Barrets, I had the LINX system implanted in May 2013. Surgery was pretty easy actually - I took off a week from work to give my 52 yr old body time to recover. One night in the hospital but only because I could not keep my oxygen levels up.

So far so good. I was able to stop all reflux meds right after surgery. It took some getting used to - you really learn to chew your food more effectively. My trachea looks much better today!

No regrets!

• Posted

Hi

My doctor is wanting me to have the Linx procedure.  But, I have a friend who had this done and she was told that she would never be able to vomit again.  She has since then been sick to her stomach and could not vomit.  She said it is a miserable feelng.  Are you able to vomit if you need to>?

Thanks.

• Posted

I had the Linx surgery two weeks ago and am experiencing some discomfort eating.  There are things I can eat and things I just cannot eat yet.  I had one episode where I vomited up food that I had ingested so I am not sure if I will be unable to vomit in the future.

• Posted

Having the LINX implanted should not affect your ability to vomit. This only happens after the Nissen fundoplication, and even then only with the 360 wrap.

I had the 270 wrap done 19 days ago......a bit of a shock as I went in to have the LINX but the surgeon found it was not possible due to the large hiatus hernia and weak LOS. Still coming to terms with the surgery and the longer recovery period.

• Posted

i have had times that have been difficult  which lasts for about 6 weeks after i had one time where i had to throw up after taking too big of a bite of  pizza had too but took another bite after much smaller and chewed longer all was good but before surgery i always wanted too throw up since surgery that was the only time and felt quite good after. i have had a hard time with steak but still can eat it just slower and smaller hope it gets better for you my worse part right now is my pain in the diafram
    • Posted

Thank you for your timely response.  I had a similar experience this evening after eating and because of your sharing your pizza experience, was able to calmly manage my experience.   I have what feels like something stuck that is painful when this occurs.  I hope your pain subsides.
    • Posted

Mel, if I may add.  I'm at 6 months tomorrow and I am totally fine.  I can eat anything without worry.  You will feel amazing when the time comes where you forget you have the linx.  I'm at that point now.  Most times, I'm not even thinking about it.   No heartburn at all.  Good luck and just know that every day gets easier.  As the months past, you will see a huge difference.   : )

Mike

• Posted

Thank you for posting.  Your note is very encouraging.  Starting Week 3 and at times it is rough. I took two pills this morning and the water and pills were themporwrily stuck.  Looking forward to the future.  Yvonne 
    • Posted

That's exactly what is happening it's getting caught let me tell you that first experience my eyes got so big cause i throat i was gonna choke . when i brought it up too my Doctor she said by just eating something again it will help it go right down but not liquid, but trust me your only gonna keep feeling better. I truly feel at 90% and it's only been since Dec 20th . Thanks too Michael he made me feel so good a couple others here too we're great , So hope you feel much better very soon.

• Posted

Thanks Michael i tell you i feel quite good now so can't wait knowing that it's only been a month. But so so happy to hear how you feel have a great week.

• Posted

Hi Michael I had the Linx fitted in January doing really well few problems swallowing but my main issue is build up of saliva which sometimes makes me sick .  Is there anything I can do to prevent that ? Thanks grace 
    • Posted

I found sipping lots of water eliminates the extra saliva.  I have good days when I can eat anything and some days, I can hardly eat anything after almost 3 months.  I hope this continues to get better and I can swallow and eat as normal.  
    • Posted

Thank you . Have you had saliva long time ? I have good days without saliva then it comes back with vengeance. I am 8 weeks post op now. I have very little difficulties with swallowing food it’s just saliva which is giving me so many problems . Grace 
    • Posted

Grace, it will cease in time.  The saliva builds because the linx is not opening and food sits in your throat.  As the saliva builds, it will cause you to want to vomit.  We've all had to deal with it.  Try drinking liquids before eating.  Congrats on your decision.  I'm 8 months in and I'm feeling great.  Stay the course, do not get down on yourself.  Just know that it is a process.

• Posted

Thank you Michael . So good to hear that . Yes, no acid reflux is brilliant . 

Mr Boyle my surgeon said it would take at least 3 months . I think I may need to eat smaller portions and go much slower with my food . Feeling positive thank you Michael . X 

• Posted

You are very welcome.  I don't think you will need 3 months.  After 17 days, my quality of life improved dramatically.  I suffered a lot.  It doesn't sound to me like you are going through anything remotely close to what I had to endure.  It was hell. I'm so happy for you.  : )

• Posted

Thank you . Sorry to hear you had such a bad time . Sounds like you are over it all now . I am looking forward to getting back to normal . Take care Grace x
    • Posted

Hello Michael,  I am glad you are doing well.  I am a week away from 3 months.  Some days I am able to eat although a little slower than before the surgery but some days I have a difficult time eating and everything gets stuck and of course that is painful.  Did you experience this and if so how did you manage this?  
    • Posted

I only had the saliva for a few weeks.  The issue I have is some days I have difficulty swallowing.  Not often, and I cannot figure out what triggers it but drinking tea or something hot before attempting to eat anything seems to reduce the occurrence.   
    • Posted

Good morning. If I recall correctly.  At 3 months, I still had food getting stuck every now and then.  However, I was so happy that the spasms and painful hiccups had stopped that it paled in comparison to what I was experiencing.    Just continue to chew well, drinks liquids and when you feel food stuck, do not try to force it down with more liquid.  It will only make it worse.   Let is go down on it's own.  Some times it takes a few minutes.  If you have to vomit..do so and then drink liquid and continue with your meal.  Trust me, it will all stop real soon.  You are very close.  Stay the course.  You will be enjoying this summer acid reflux free.  Best, Mike

• Posted

My consultant told me it was the device bedding in as adhesions grow around it so just keep eating and eventually it will stop. 

I have no idea what triggers my saliva maybe certain foods . Hopefully we are over the worst and it can only get better for us.  Xx

• Posted

Try drinking liquid before eating.  The muscles in your throat have to strengthen.  It happened to me as well.  It doesn't anymore.  It will all be over with soon.  Trust me.

• Posted

Thank you Michael,

It is very helpful to learn from others as I no longer experience reflux but worry about other damage from food that is stuck and the pain.  It is happening less frequently and that is good.  I look forward to this ending and will ensure that I drink liquids before eating anything solid.

Yvonne 

• Posted

It will go away in time but until then I have this comment:

Ritz crackers

Eat one or two Ritz crackers every hour or two for the next couple months, it really helps, especially as soon as you get out of bed in the morning. Eating the cracker opens the Linx up and clears the esophagus.

• Posted

I'm finishing eight months and I still get food stuck BUT 90% of the time it is my own fault for not chewing well, too large of a bite/portion to swallow, or eating too fast.

• Posted

Thanks,

I can only sip liquids at times and only eat small bites of food.  I am hoping this will go away with time.  I tried having a cup of tea this morning and it seemed that helped so that I did not have any issues today with eating.  I will continue to try to start the day with warm liquids to see if this is the fix for my issues.

• Posted

Thank you very much , will try this out.

Grace 

• Posted

Also see my post above to Grace - Ritz cracker every hour or two and especially as soon as you get out of bed, even before brushing your teeth.
    • Posted

Hi Mel

Im about to book in for the Linx. Just wondering how you are getting on 5 months later? 

Thanks

Dominique

• Posted

Hello Dominique, I thought I would respond to your inquiry as I had the surgery almost 6 months ago.  It has not been as easy as I thought but it has been worth it.  I have had to re-learn to eat, taking small bites so food does not get stuck in my esophagus.  I have not figured out why some days I can eat chicken and other days it is uncomfortable.   I had one experience a month ago in which I was in a restaurant and a piece of broccoli was stuck, I tried to drink water to get it down and immediately vomited at the table in the restaurant.   That was isolated and I learned to eat more slowly, chew everything well, and not panic when food is stuck.  This surgery is really for people who have no other options.  Medication either is not working or is not tolerated.  It is not easy and I am not the same as I was pre surgery. I have to take sips of water, no large gulps.  

I wish you the best with your surgical procedure and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

All and all I'm 100 % happy  it's been 6 months and i have little moments and when that happens i eat something very small to glide it down that's what my Doctor said too do i have had moments when  i did spit up but it's because i didn't chew well enough and it was a quick up and felt fine and go right back too eating. Good Luck and let me know how it goes. Oh and I'm at the weight that i was at 21 which is kinda cool.

• Posted

Hi Dominique,

I am now 5 months post op and I have to say things are very good. I had problems with food pooling and I think chewing your food properly is so important . I forget sometimes and it is not as bad but it can get stuck. I am very happy I had it done as  no more acid reflux. I believe like the  fundoplication it takes at least 3 months to recover.

I wish you all the best and hang on in there as the results are worth it.

Regards,  Grace

• Posted

Thank you Mel that is quite reassuring. Can I ask were you on ppis before operation? Over the 5 yrs of hell I only took medication for the first 6 months but they didn’t really help but the last 2 weeks I’ve been taking omprezole 20mg so I can eat what I want and they have helped. The doc said to wean off them either before op or after? I’m unsure what to do because I’m in a very bad way psychologically at the moment I’m having panic attacks due to claustrophobia. I’m thinking if I wean off after the op and I get acid rebound I might think op hasn’t worked and I will get very down and I need to be in a good place so I can fly back to Australia (I’m in the UK at the moment / we don’t have LINX in oz). Last night I missed a tablet and I had the night from hell!!! Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Regards

Dominique 

• Posted

Thank you so much Grace that is great to hear. I’ve now got to decide on the surgeon. I had two consults one with dr Nehra at st Antony’s and one with dr nick Boyle in Chelsea. There isn’t much in it between them. Both seem very experienced. 

Regards

Dominque 

• Posted

Many thanks to you for your reply. I have Barrett’s and I’m not prepared to let it get any worse so surgery is the only option now for me. 

Regards

Dominique 

• Posted

Hi Dominique,

I had Mr Boyle he was great just seen him for my last appointment the end of May.

Good luck ! you are in good hands.

Grace

• Posted

Best wishes, you will be fine.  You are right to not let it get any worse.  I have mostly wonderful days, no longer trying to sleep on a wedge pillow, no longer worried about what is going on in my esophagus, but you will have to learn what you can or cannot eat.   I am glad you found this patient group because others who had the surgery before me were able to put my mind at ease and give me great advice post surgery.

regards

• Posted

I have just this second booked the op!! With Mr Boyle for the 4th July! Very excited and nervous. Very grateful for your reply. It has put my mind at ease. 

Kind regards

Dominique 

• Posted

Hi Grace

Your last reply has convinced me to go with Nick Boyle. I was going to go with Mr Nehra but he can’t do it until 17th July and Mr Boyle can do it on the 4th July.  I really want to return to Australia ASAP. I’m very homesick. I’m going to stay at least a month after the op, so the sooner it’s done the better. 

Yesterday my mum and I said a prayer and tossed a coin in it came up Mr Boyle ( but I still was undecided) but because your name is Grace I’ve decided that’s my message!!! 

I will keep you all updated. 

Thanks for still posting and keeping us all hopeful. 

Kind regards

Dominique 

• Posted

Dear Dominique,  that’s wonderful news. Glad you have your date booked.

Just remember stay positive and give it time . Chew your food well and you will be fine in time. 

Good luck will be thinking of you .

Best wishes.

Grace 

• Posted

Hi.  Hope you see this since your post is from 4 years ago.  I've had LPR for decades and I'm panicked about that, every night waking up and maybe that is why I'm unemployed right now, tired during the day, etc, grumpy, never knowing if I have a cold or it is just the acid.  If you are still happy you had the procedure, can you tell me the name of your doctor?  I think most doctors only perform LINX if you have GERD and many do not understand what LPR is or do not think LINX is for that so I want to know the named of any US doctors that will do LINX for LPR and do you know if any insurance companies will pay for that.  Did you have coverage?  Also, this sounds difficult to go through, would I not be able to be middle aged and going back to college in the midst of getting this.  Plus I need a doctor that would do this plus repair of hiatal hernia because I already know that mine is too big so I have another problem.  I'm not even sure how to do any of this as I developed extreme fear of anesthesia, hospitals/surgery, etc.  I would need to be given anxiety medicine before an IV or anesthesia. I don't know how to keep living with LPR, but I don't know how to do anything about it either.  Now I'm unemployed with no benefits, in need of a new career and I would have to either pay for cobra or purchase some other medical insurance so I'm in a huge bind.  I don't want to continue in my same line of work, but that would be the fastest way to get employed with health insurance again, but I really want to go back to school and do something else.  I don't know about getting some kind of student health insurance. I'm doubting it would pay for any of this.  Maybe I'm stuck with this until it kills me.  I never got married either so I don't have a husband to insure through either. Maybe if I have no income I can qualify for medicaid? I have no idea.  But I don't know how I could survive the saliva problems, the swallowing problems or even get thru the surgery. I also would need special hospital  care because I have IC bladder pain and as soon as I'm hooked to an IV with liquid intake, I am in severe bladder pain and I need to go to the bathroom within every 10 minutes so I would be completely panicked if they were not going to be able to give me the med I need for the bladder.  So this is why I keep living with it not sleeping thru a single night day after day.  I'm 46, how much longer can I do that?

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I notice that you said that it takes time to notice the effects of surgery and become well again.

My husband had surgery 4 days ago and his symptoms are still there.

His surgeon told him he needs to wait 3 to 6 months for it to work.

However my husband has slumped into a depression thinking it hasn't worked. I think he is on an emotional rollercoaster.

I wonder if you could reply, explaining how the healing process went for you. was it gradual or immediate?

Many thanks,

Elizabeth.

• Posted

dear DeeDee333,

I had Links surgery in January 2018. When I first had the surgery, I could not eat much at all and it took about 3 months for me to heal and to begin to figure out what I could eat. broccoli and chicken that were not really soft can still be problematic and get stuck. I am relaxed now so I do not worry about it any more. your husband should hang in there and focus on recovering from the surgery and should not worry about if it worked or not . He will have to eat small bites and take his time. the surgery works- no reflux and i pretty much am back to normal

• Posted

Hi Deedee333, i saw your question. i had the surgery back in November of this past year and it worked right away which it should. Taking 3 to 6 months is a little bit concerning if tyats what your surgeon said. After i had it placed in i was told to eat about every hour to exercise the linx. Small and very thorough bites to prevent food getting stuck. its been about 8 months and if i forget to chew really good or fast the food wont or takes forever to go down. if you have any questions or concerns look up Dr. Blair jobe in Pittsburgh. he did mine and if you look up background on him, he is one of the Dr's who founded the linx and perfected how it works.

• Posted

Was gonna same as Jason i could tell right away that it was fixed it's been almost two years since mine and only problem i have is i forget sometimes that i have to chew well so it doesn't want to open immediate but if i just take another small bite it will help. But i would check into it cause he really should be feeling better.

• Posted

Deedee, how is your husband now? i had my surgery about 10 weeks ago. i made it through the period where it was hard to swallow, but i can swallow fine now ans have gained back all my weight (which is a good thing in my case).

However, my reflux had hardly improved at all, and i an unable to even decrease the dose of the reflux medication i'm on. im discouraged that my surgery was ineffective. Did it ever start to be effective for your husband?

Thanks,

David

• Posted

hello i had linx surgery with hiatal hernia repair 5 days ago, can eat soft foods and am feeling better each day. one issue- still getting reflux, doc advised to stay on PPI's for now and i have my first post op appointment next week. will the reflux subside? will it get better not sure but am worried about still getting reflux especially at night.

• Posted

Yes you can vomit! I had the linx put in a year ago and this January I had a serious UTI and it caused me to throw up. No problems with that. Just my UTI!

• Posted

4 years later - how do you feel- I'm scheduled to have my sliding hiatel hernia repaired and linx installed. I'm a little concerned about long term ..Thanks,

• Posted

How are you feeling 4 yrs later..I'm scheduled for linx surgery 8/29/22..any information would be great... Or any feed back from anyone..Thanks

• Posted

I'm scheduled for linx surgery 8/29/22..How do you feel now? any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

How do you feel 3 years later? any difficulty swallowing ? I'm scheduled for linx 8/29/22...I'm a little nervous, I do not have barretts but everytime I get scoped my doc thinks it's cancer. I have a sliding hiatus hernia and a weak LOS...Thanks

• Posted

I'm scheduled for linx surgery on 8/29/22..fix sliding hiatal hernia and linx.. Did the surgery ever start working for you? I want to get off the ppi it's beginning to cause me problems..I am a little skeptical of the surgery. thanks,

• Posted

i had the surgery 3-4 years ago and it worked well although there are things i cannot eat or drink. i cannot eat large pieces of anything firm broccoli, beef has to be ground or small pieces, broccoli has to be cut up small and chewed well. Food gets stuck and i have to take sips of water to get it to go down or wait until it goes down on its own. over rime i have gotten used to the issues associated with the surgery and my life feels normal. i cannot drink alcohol or soda because i will get heartburn but there are no other restrictions i can drink these things early in the day it is not perfect but it is much better. i do not think it will ever be better than it is but it is much better than before the surgery i forgot to mention i have had food get stuck a few times that causes me to throw up and i was afraid i was going to choke but I have learned to avoid things that did that.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you feel like you followed post op instructions and ate frequently (every 2 hours) for a few months after surgery?

• Posted

Did alcohol and soda give you heart burn before? Did you have a manometry test done prior to surgery? I can tell alcohol hurts my esophagus sometimes right where it connects to my stomach. ( Hiatal Hernia) allowing acid to leak over the years has eroded my esophagus at that point.

• Posted

i followed every direction, went back to the doctor and had a GI assessment to ensure the band was working well. it was and i was told some people have issues with certain foods and others might have issues with different foods. everyone is unique some people cannot eat steak at all, i forgot to mention i can have challenges with rice i think it is too sticky

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I have surgery tomorrow. I did not get a second opinion, I hope I do not regret this.

• Posted

Surgery completed 08/29/2022 Doctor says all went well- Hiatal Hernia was much larger than expected. but was still able to do Linx Augmentation. It's been 48 hours and eating soft foods is getting easier. Been able to eat Eggs, grits, vegetables, grilled Salmon, Pinto beans with rice, chewy chocolate chip cookies, bananas, variety of fruit. Eating is much easier today able to eat more. eating every two hours . I know it's too soon to know how this will go. But starting out ok. No acid reflux at all.. Hope you are well..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.