Linzess

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the drug Linzess? I take it for constipation, I try not to take it every day because of the side effects, however as my symptoms worse and I feel I am most likely going to have to take it daily. The only reason why I don't like taking it is because, regardless of the doors whether it be the Lowest dose or the middle dose 145,   Once I start going to the bathroom I do not stop and have diarrhea for a good portion of the day. I also noticed that once my diarrhea is over  which usually takes hours, I often feel gassy and bloated, almost like the stool is still there.  If I eat or drink something to bloat gets even worse.   The diarrhea from the medicine is usually when I take it in the morning on an empty stomach.   I was wondering if anyone had any remedies to stop the diarrhea from the medicine. The medicine is definitely a miracle drug, it just has major side effects for me like the diarrhea bloating and gas I feel like if it didn't have that it would be my miracle drug.  I thought about taking Imodium or other anti-diarrhea medicine but I am afraid to take something like that if I suffer from chronic constipation  any help is much appreciated as I am running out of ideas.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I haven't been on these forums that often but saw your post.  I could not tolerate the Linzess due to the side effects, like you.  Actually, I just did not feel well either.  Magnesium seemed to help some.  I am pretty sensitive to drugs.  My motility doctor at Stanford suggested I try Iberogast, which is a type of a liquid herbal supplement.  Ordered it on Amazon.  I would just add it to my morning coffee.  I started using it 3 times a day then cut down to once a day.  Took a while but it really did seem to help. I haven't used it for months but am now pretty regular.  I do still have issues with bloating but use Gas-X on some days.  I also take Zantac daily now.  The doctor told me that is often a dance trying to see what drugs, or combinations of drugs, will help someone.  I am not saying the Iberogast is a cure all but I definitely noticed an improvement after a couple of weeks.  I had read, at the time, that some people swore by the Linzess.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much.   I guess my problem is a combination of symptoms, there is some constipation, as well as bloating and gas in my stomach, it's kind of like air trapped in there.    In regards to motility, I have tried it all MiraLAX Sanna Dulcolax, everything and nothing keeps me regular like Linzess unfortunately there are side effects.  My doctor believed if I was fully emptied out the bloating gas in pain would go away that constipation was causing it however I am not so sure. After taking Linzess today and  being in the bathroom for over an hour I don't think there is anything left in me however I still have those pains. 

• Posted

I was tested in April and the test came back negative.  I would have bet my life savings my issue was SIBO but apparently not.  I am seeing a new doctor now and she is having me redo a lot of tests, I'm hoping SIBO is one of them.  At night the gas is so bad I can not leave the house.

• Posted

Actually, I have read that some GI doctors routinely treat patients with IBS for SIBO.  Yes, a test can be negative.  I think I had one positive but have taken Xifixan 3 times.  I was Complaining of gas and bloating not that long ago and my GI Doctor said I could try the Xifaxin again but I decided to hold off.  You are probably having worse and issues, been there, but on more uncomfortable days, I use Gas-X.  The Linzess may be causing that also. 
    • Posted

I am still very convinced I have SIBO.  I was taking  xifaxin and honestly thought my symptoms were  improving. I actually ran out of it and have to see if my doctor will give me more, my insurance doesn't cover it so he has been giving me samples. I have also been taking Atrantil  which is just a supplement, not a prescription.  I don't know too much about SIBO  but in addition to antibiotics, is there anything else I can do to help?  Linzess is definitely not my favorite   And I absolutely agree in that it does not help my problem, it may be worsening the gas. I'm  sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place with that because I know it works and though it's not ideal I've learned to work with it for the most part.  Ironically though, even with Linzess, this trapped air doesn't come out.

• Posted

Personally I would speak to your GP about trying a different drug. I haven't had this drug before but I take cosmocol daily at night and I have a normal stool usually the following morning. It isn't a stimulant, just a softener so no side effects. If I don't manage to go to the loo I just take another dose in the morning and that sorts me. Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.