lip biopdy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi can you tell me to to prepare for a lip biopsy and what to expect, I have heard so many different things .

I wrote last year saying I had dry eyes no tears dry mouth dry nose fatigue joint pains  vaginal problems low grade fevers oestioarthritis some saliva then  very little.

I recently has a scan on my glands these showed signes of Sjögren's hence the lip biopsy,  bloods negative. 

Thank you jakki 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I just wonder after a scan that shows signs of Sjogren's why they need a lip biopsy. Seems extreme. You have all the signs and symptoms and often these conditions don't show up in bloods or biopsies I wonder why they don't just treat you and get on with it. Are they treating you? I hope so.

Sorry can't tell you about biopsy. They talked of doing it at one time but didn't. Turned out I have Behcet's not Sjogren's. So similar really. I hope it goes ok for you and sure there are many others here who have experience of biopsy. X

• Posted

Hi Margaret it's because my bloods are negative my GP asked the same why they couldn't just try some treatment it's very frustrating  my letter after this procedure says most likely Sjögren's syndrome this changed when bloods were negative so they decided on a lip biopsy.

Maxafillio are doing this the consultant I saw said I don't have rheumatoid arthritis so I can't have Sjögren's this time what your up against.

• Posted

I will post a number for Vasculitis UK they would be good to talk to and give advice. They could possibly suggest other docs who may know more about vasculitis. If you are anywhere near Cambridge I recommend the vasculitis unit at Addenbrookes. X
  • Posted

hi... whats scans of which glands show if u have Sjogren's? I initially had very swollen lymph gland under jaw and i was told i had infection and given antibiotics which had no impact...eventualy 3 weeks later glands subsided (this was before i went to rheum with swollen wrists and knuckles and was diagnosed with primary SS

?I was diagnosed by bloods...the Rheum wanted to do lip biopsy also but my saliva had returned and he agreed that if my mouth was back to normal the lip biopsy would be negative.

I was put on corticosteroid and plaquenil...for a few months...came off them when things seemed to be back to normal.

?Last 6 months i have extremely painful shoulders, neck, elbows( even collar bones hurt often), wrists and knuckles. Xray taken last Jan showed osteochronosis of neck and thining disc between C 6/7 , and severe tendontitis. I saw orthopedic man and he gave me painkillers and anti inflamateries and steroid injection..relief only temporary.... going to go back to rheumy (will only prescribe steroids and plaquenil sad.....are there any other treatments for SS rather than drugs???

• Posted

Hi shaq my sublingual gland under tounge been swollen for over a year and my parotid glands been swollen painfull over the last  six month I have swelling by both ears one side submandibular gland cracked tounge burning mouth so my lop biopsy is tom this all started last April but problems leading up to all this for many years.

At present I'm on eye drops Biotene gell glandosane spray , I'm not sure what treatments are out there some people say changing your diet it's something my gp has discussed with me.

I hope you find some treatment that will help you thank you for replying x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.