Lip biops whIle inflammation is low

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am scheduled f lip biopsy tomorrow and naturally, it comes at a time when inflammation and SS issues are not really preset ( except for dry eye).

Will test be effective if issues are not present at of biopsy?

Thanks for your imput!

Melissa

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I just had one about 3,5 weeks ago. Didnt feel a thing. Like a trip to the dentist and very little numbness left. Had it maybe for first 2 weeks. Healing well.

My results came back negative. So im none the wiser with whats going on. Only been on the salagen for like less than a month. Hasent much kicked in yet. Every now and then i can sort of feel it perhaps. Guess its takes some time. Good luck tomorrow!

• Posted

Melissa, I've answered by private message. PMs sent via this site don't expose the email address of either party or carry viruses. The notification will come into your inbox (or sometimes junk mail) in the normal way.

• Posted

Hi Lily65668 would you mind answering the question for me. I'd like to know what you're thoughts are.

• Posted

The gist of my reply to Melissa was that I'd raised the same question when my ophthalmologist wanted to refer me for lip biopsy last year. She'd diagnosed SS by an extreme Schirmer test and somewhat inconclusive bloods.

My dry mouth has always tended to come and go, and I too was concerned that the biopsy result would automatically be negative if it was taken at a time when I had normal saliva production.

She told me that the lip biopsy picked up on changes in the structure of the cells in the small salivary glands, and not on the amount of saliva they were producing. My excellent GP, with whom I subsequently discussed this, confirmed what she had said.

So... the bottom line is that no one with suspected SS needs to refuse a lip biopsy on the sole ground that they don't have a dry mouth.

• Posted

What I couldn't believe is that the lab said that mine was inconclusive. I've not talked to anyone that's ever heard of that. But I have a dry mouth, eyes, nose and ears so I really don't care what the test says. My rheumatologist is treating my symptoms. And that's all that can be done.

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

I had one done 3 years ago. Just to confirm that i had Sjogren. Which confirmed i have. I haven't had any problems with my lip and its only uncomfortable with the stitches in.

If you be ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.