Lip biopsy- Sjogren's

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this page and I am curious as to if anyone has any information about this subject. I had a lip biopsy for testing (sjogren's ) yesterday, and my doctor had the hardest time finding enough of the minor salivary glands. He made an incision much larger than he wanted to but he will not send in less than ten. Otherwise it could come back inconclusive. Also out of the 10 only one was of normal size. The others were absolutely tiny. He said this was indicative of Sjogren's. I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard that before. He also said that if it came back inconclusive that he would not recommend another biopsy on me as there weren't enough salivary glands to be found. Any info is greatly appreciated! smile

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm i the process of being tested for Sjogrens. Until 2 weeks ago I had never even heard of it. Had my 5th sinus surgery in May expecting it to make me all better. Starting in Dec my paratid glands started swelling and was having ear pain, associated it to the sinus issues. well after surgery the swelling is still ther, no infection. I have been on antibiotics almost nonstop since December because of my sinuses. I have super dry lips and kind of dry mouth, bad joints but I'm 54 so I thought that was it. I have allergies and get allergy shots and had some abnormal blood work a few years ago, my rheumatoid factor was high and my IgG were all low but I guess not enough so I had a sinus surgery then and was ok for a few years. Now my ENT is referring me to an oral pathologist for a saliva test but my most recent blood work was normal. I'm so confused. I've been so sick for so long and have missed so much work At first the antibiotics were reducing the gland swelling but not anymore and it makes my ears hurt and my head feels like it weighs 1000 pounds and I am completely exhausted...ugh.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.