Lip Injury resulting in an hard lump

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I am posting this message in hope anyone that sustained a bad lip injury could answer some of my questions.

Six month ago, i had an accidental fall which resulted in me breaking my front teeth and biting the inner of my bottom lip. I consulted a dentist immediately. He fixed my teeth, stitched the wound inside. At that time, everything seemed good but unfortunately, one month after my injury, a hard lump started to developed along the incision line making my lip very asymmetrical and swollen.

As the situation was becoming very uncomfy, I went to see my GP. He told me it was scar tissue forming and adviced me to massage firmly the lump between the finger and thumb. I did that for a month or so and as i saw no results, i just stopped. It seemed even worse after massaging it then before.

My GP decided then to refer me to an oral surgeon. But with the pandemics, my appointment is not before september. Currently, I am still suffering from that uncomfy thigh hard lump inside the lip. I must admit it did soften a bit and got smaller but remains still present and annoying.

My questions:

• is it normal to still have hard knots six months after ? I might worry myself more than necessary.
  • I have heard that they can inject steroids inside the scar to reduce it. Did anyone tried that ? Knowing my scar is in my lip, i am a bit concerned about possible side-effects (atrophy).
  • Did anyone have to get the scar tissue cut out ? And if so, did the revision was worth it ?

Thank you to anyone who would like to reply !

Kind Regards,

M.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i had fallen down few months ago and bit my lips but can i still feel hard small lump to but doesnt hurt .

• Posted

How old is your injury if i may ask ?

My scar is actually sensitive and since it is a bit elevated i feel it rubbing against my teeth. So it might make the area more sore.

If you want, i will let you know how my appointement went and what options are available for softening the hard bump.

Take care,

• Posted

i fell around end of april it swell really badly but where i bit my my lips its was sore and puffy .went to hospital and said it will heal on its own . it took around 2 weeks to heal but i still feel little hard lumps but it doesnt hurt .go back to your doctor it can be infected .i put vasline and clean the area everyday

• Posted

ok i fell around December and had it stitched. Not sure if i did have a reaction to the absorbable stitches but it did swell quiet a lot and remained swollen for months. Now the swelling is mostly down but i still have some hardness and puffiness along the incision line. It does not look like infection (I have seen many doctors between December and now and none of them thought about infection) and it appears i did develop an hypertrophic scar.

I will give an update anyway next month for anyone who is dealing with the same problem 😊

• Posted

There are side effects to injecting steroids, but there are also many benefits. Whatever the case its fixable.

• Posted

Agitation is not the answer. The answer is patiently waiting and using ice and cold water on the wound. I have bit my lip and made wounds before, sometimes deep wounds. Time heals.

• Posted

Hello, thank you for the reply !!

I guess mine was very deeper than expected. I went to an oral surgeon around 6 months after the cut. He referred me to a physiotherapist for some intra-oral massage of the scar. It did help a little but unfortunately i still have a bump. It gets sore and from time to time still swells. I think my teeth gets on the way especially when i sleep. So i might go for a scar revision since it has been a 1 year old since my injury

• Posted

A dermatologist can help you, but usually the swelling should naturally go down.

• Posted

I fell jumping down the stairs when I was four and got a deep cut inside my lip and another one outside my lip from my teeth. The wounds both healed with no infection but I still have scars and a bump inside my lip 15 years later. It doesn't hurt but it does get annoying when I re-bite it. I did not get stitches at the time and probably should have, so I can't say for sure if it is normal since mine healed naturally, but I would guess even after your lip heals completely you may still have a small lump of scar tissue that doesn't go away. I would like to get mine removed so I stop re-biting it, but when I asked my dermatologist he said he couldn't feel a hard scar tissue bump so it wouldn't be easy to remove it completely. When I pull my lip, the bump completely flattens so I have a feeling surgery/scar tissue removal may not be an option in my case and that the bump is just a result of improper healing. I am planning on seeking a second opinion as I too am interested if scar tissue removal is possible and worth it.

• Posted

one night after about 6-8 Lychee martinis, tripped over a small fence surrounding a tree and busted my upper lip. the laceration came from my teeth which thank God were not damaged. I fell asleep and woke up with a huge lip and minor scrapes on the outside. I cleaned my lip with a saline spray and began to apply ice. Later than day an acquaintance put me on to the magic of witch hazel; less than 24hrs after applying some to my lip with a q-tip it was back to it's normal size. aside from the small nodule I feel inside, I can't believe that was just 17days ago. I have massaged the bump between my thumb and index finger in a circular motion and it has helped to reduce it in size. you can see the scar on the inside of my lip. I don't want to get it surgically removed cause I have pretty lips so I'm just grateful they aren't disfigured. I think I'll try rubbing lemon and/or lime juice a few times a day as their acidity has helped breakdown keloids in past.

• Posted

I have also suffered same type of injury on 2016 from my scooter I crashed, my two front upper teeth broke in half which resulted into almost slicing my whole lower lips, luckily my cousin brother is a dentist the only guy I could trust at that time and took a good care of me, at that time he stitched my lips and did a root canal session for a week or two.

It took almost 2/3 months to heal my lip and stitching to go away and I noticed a lump inside the injured place during this period which I thought would take some time to heal by itself but it didn't so I asked my brother about it he said it's okay it will go away after some time so i was okay at that time then he made my teeth look good with dental bonding,, it's almost six years now and i still have that lump i think it's little less in size than it was before ,, i never tried any massages or ever consulted someone else about it but i am considering to look for a oral surgeon now as sometimes while chewing i bite my lower lip (which is little thick because of lump) and it hurts a lot, did you do anything about it yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.