Lip Irritation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been experiencing lip burning, itching, dryness, bleeding etc you name it. It all started in April & hasn't let down since & I don't know what to think of it because I always have had nice, soft healthy lips 😦 The pic attached is what is going on today. Constant burning & swollen lips. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong with me?image

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hallo C...that certainly looks uncomfortable. Firstly, do you have any swelling in your mouth or rashes on the rest of your body? Do you feel OK apart from the lips?

A reaction like yours is often an allergy. Can you cast your mind back to April....did you introduce anything new into your diet? Was there some sort of life change? New job? Did you get a new partner, as something your partner uses could be the culprit? Did you get a Covid vaccine? There have been reports of swollen lips as a side effect.

If you smoke anything, legal or illegal, did you change it in April? Did you start smoking in April?

Are you taking any medication, prescribed by your doctor or bought over the counter or online?

• Posted

Hello! No rashes anywhere else & physically I feel as normal. April was 2 months after I started going to the gym 4 days a week & changed like 98% of my diet.

No new partners, no covid vaccine, no use of illegal drugs or smoking cigarettes and no new meds or products at that time either.

I would say that the biggest changes were sweating more & unconscious lip licking at the time. I just don't know why it would continue to get worse or still occur.

• Edited

So if you changed 98% of your diet, what did you introduce? A lot of eggs? peanuts? or some sort of nuts? That could be a clue.

Do you touch your lips with your fingers a lot ?

Constantly licking the lips does often cause swelling and inflammation and you may have introduced some infection as well.

Two things you could try: gently wash and dry your lips before bed and then smother them in medical grade vaseline. Try not to lick them.

You could also try an anti histamine tablet one a day for 2 weeks. you should be able to buy them in Chemist/pharmacy or even supermarket.

If neither of these work, you need to see a doctor..you may need antibiotics.

• Posted

Marina is right about it being an allergy and it can even be topical.

Try to pay attention if you haven't used any new lipbalm or lipstick, any sunscreen that is different than usual, etc.

From the picture, it looks like you used/use wax on your upper lip. If this is the case, the wax may have caused the irritation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.