Lipitor gives False Positive on Tumor Marker Test

Posted , 4 users are following.

About a year ago I was having upper abdominal pain. Had many tests and was thinking the worst. For whatever reason, I thought it was my pancreas. My doctor ran a CA19  blood test that is a tumor marker test to check my pancreas. My numbers came back at 45 and it was high. It should be under 37u/ml. I'm a relatively healthy male and there was no reason for this number to be elevated. Further tests should my pancreas was fine. My doctor could not give me any reason why this number was elevated and I wanted to know.  His position was unacceptable to me. Six months later I had another ca19 test and it was still elevated. Still no answers as to why. At this point I did my own research and test. I stopped Liptor for six months and had the CA19 test done again. Well the CA 19'was back in normal ranges at 24u/ml. The only pill I was taking was Lipitor. I just thought I'd get this info out there. Lipitor is a nasty drug. Of course my doctor dismissed my claim because it's something that never crossed his mind. He also is a big fan of Lipitor. My cholesterol numbers did rise significantly when I was off it for the six months but i had to find out what was going on, my doctor was useless in getting me answers. When someone is running abnormal. Umber a for a tumor marker test, one would think your doctor would want to know why. Mine didn't so I took it into my own hands. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Are you on another statin brand or I think they all do the same thing to our bodies as they are made up of the same ingredients, it's just the name that's different.  Have you made any changes to your diet etc?  I came off simvastatin after six months, insidiously I was feeling very ill but didn't put two and two together until I lost so much weight due to my muscles wasting.  I caught sight of myself in a shop mirror and a neighbour kept asking are you losing weight.  I thought I had cancer.  Then I twigged the affects of the statin had built up and I felt such pain in my muscles.  I think cycling a lot added to loss of muscle.  I exercise and do my best with diet.  I wish I'd never known my cholesterol numbers in the first place it did nothing but cause me worry. Still does. I think the statins would of killed me the heart is a muscle after all.  It's good you were your own advocate as we have to be.

• Posted

Len I was on statins for years  and had terrible muscle pain and weakness...then out of the blue I had to have a blood test for diabetes....what happened was I had to see the nurse befpre I had breakfast,,she took some blood then sent me home to have my normal breakfast...a chocolate biscuit...and to drink a small bottle of lucozade...two hours later I had another blood test....the result was in the diabetic range..11.2..so I cut out sugar and watched what I ate...and every blood test after that was good...according to my GP as good as a non diabetic. Later it was discovered that statins can raise the blood sugar, so I took it upon myself to stop them.....that was a few years ago, just recently I repeated the test at home with the lucozade..and tested my blood 2 hours later.....the result was 6.2....nowhere near diabetic...but when I asked my gp last year if a mistake could have been made.....because all my results were good...I was told no ....11.2 means diabetic...
    • Posted

That's insane Lisa. This stuff is poison. They switched me to Crestor 3x a week. If the CA19 goes up again, I'm done w statins

• Posted

Hi Len - i'm here to commiserate with you and Sue and Lisa. I was on 80 mg Lipitor - totally unecessary - for two years. Result: inflamed liver, plummeting toward type 2 diabetes, vit D depletion, aches in joints, phantom itches, memory loss, excema, painful shins, hair loss...The 'doctor' denied these snowballing conditions had anything to do with the poison known as statins and cheerfully blamed me for my condition despite no having a single one of these anomolies in the previous 50 years of life.

I threw the doc and the statins away. It has taken another two years to regain my former health - almost. I exercised and re-jigged my already adequete diet. I have never had a blood test since and couldn't care less what my cholesterol is. I have researched statins and have been horrified at what I have found. It is a gateway drug, prescribed like lollies and a pathway to multiple illnesses requiring more drugs thereby fulfilling the business model of big pharma: every human being reliant on at least one of their products.

• Posted

Hi Wayne,

I think you've done what I have done.  I don't know my numbers and knowing them when I can't take statins and like you do what I can to bring the numbers down would just stress me out so much.  Interestingly I read somewhere that if our bad cholesterol is too low we make more same thing regards exercise we need bad cholesterol to repair muscles.  I think the statins depleted me of any bad cholesterol and my body was a mess.  I had lower cholesterol, no exercise and just not worrying to much about what I ate just ate little bit of what I fancies as my MIL used to say. 

• Posted

Sorry can't edit post.  I mean before I knew my numbers in 2010 I ate little bit of everything, I swear fruit makes mine go up.

• Posted

Hi Sue - Yes we do need a balance of "bad" cholesterol, just like the gut needs a balance of "good" and "bad" bacteria in order to be healthy. In my reasearch I have discovered that the depletion of cholesterol by statins can instigate or exacerbate dementia in users. The brain is about 35% cholesterol. I still can't believe how sick I was. 

• Posted

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. High Chol runs in my family. My grandmother had a Chol level of 300 her whole life and never took mess. Died at 88 because of pneumonia. I was switched to Crestor 3x a week and will have blood work done in 6 weeks. If CA19 goes up again, I'm all done w statins. Also, my vitamin D was rock bottom too

• Posted

Hi Len - thanks for responding. As with you, there is a genetic predisposition for high cholesterol in my family too. Dad had heart attacks due to blockage, had several stents inserted, but the meds decimated any quality of life for him. He was two months shy of 90 when he died, but those last years were difficult for him. Wishing you all the best with Crestor, hope it works out for you - if not you know you are not alone...
    • Posted

Hello Wayne,

Sorry to hear your dad had to go through that. They prescribed the Crestor 3x a week at 10mg. I'll try it for a bit and if I get any sides, I'll make them try something new. I did read an article that Pfizer was working on a pill that totally cleans the arteries of plaque. I don't know when it will be out, but I'm pretty sure it's Pfizer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.