Lipitor v ordinary atorvastatins

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Lipitor 10 mg for several years now with no problems and my cholesterol levels have always been below 4%.

Recently I moved to a different practice 6 months ago which refused to prescribe it because of the price.

They put me on a generic atorvastatin which caused side effects such as nausea, anxiety and nose bleeds.

ive tried several different ones to no avail and my cholesterol level is now 6.2%!

can I insist on being prescribed Lipitor?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

if by 10 mg. your levels were below 4, then your levels are okay...I think 6 is fine...I wish mine was 6! I would never take statins....Mine are always 8 + and I am taking 10 mg. atoravastatin and it comes up to 6 only. but I have no side effects but just hate taking drugs...every small ache makes me think of statins because I read so much about the negative effects...I stopped for 3 months but the aches were there so I attributed to the age also, and it shot up to 8...I wonder if high cholesterol really really brings on heart attacks! I wish someone would tell us honestly without monetary benefits.

why dont you monitor your levels for the next 3 months if it stays on 6? perhaps change your eating habits and exercise? you may not have to take it.

• Posted

but it depends on what your doctor tells you
    • Posted

Thank you Jenna

My doctor is fine with me taking Lipitor has I get on with it ok without any side effects and it keeps my cholesterol levels below 4%.

The problem lies with the penny pinching practice manager who won't allow my dr to prescribe it for me!

instead they keep giving me other statins such as ordinary atorvastatin, provost actin which give me side effects and allow my cholesterol levels to go past 6%!

My diet is regulated ok

• Posted

I thought Lipitor was Atorvastatin, that's how my med is labelled.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.