Liquid diet and antibiotic misery, please help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm having my first DD attack, I'm on the clear liquid diet and antibiotics. The problem is, with no food the antibiotics are tearing my stomach up. Even drinking broth, my stomach is so acidity, gassy and it sounds like there is a war going on in it. I'm burping terribly and the acid reflux makes me feel like I want to vomit. Throw the antibiotics on top and it's terrible! My pain is almost gone, only one small area tender when I move. Is it possible to have a saltine cracker before meds? What's the best thing for this acid & gas relief? Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have to eat when taking antibiotics. Crackers, rice , jacket potato .

Anything dry and low residue, e.g. white bread.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hello! 

Your advice on here is super helpful. I’m having my first attack and extremely nauseous.  I’m on two antibiotics. One is metronidazole.  It seems to be causing me severe nausea.   I’m also struggling with what to eat to keep from throwing up my meds.  Bought some white bread.  Just the thought of broth or jello now is more that I can handle. Any other suggestions for something gentle in my stomach? 

Sick in Texas sad

• Posted

Be sure to take some high-quality probiotics!  Helps me a lot when on antibiotics.  I also discovered that a lower dose of antibiotics worked well for me - with my doctor's agreement.  Sometimes the "normal" dose prescribed is one fits all and doesn't always fit.  I am quite reactive to meds, and half the dose clears mine up without as many side effects.

• Posted

Do you take them while your on the clear liquids or just when your back on food?
    • Posted

Take them when you are taking antibiotics.  It helps with the side effects (the diarrhea and possible yeast infections).  

• Posted

I just finished my antibiotics and I always put a half of piece of mushy white bread in my stomach first. I cut off the crust.
    • Posted

You took ate bread with meds while you were still on the clear liquid phase?
    • Posted

Yes I did eat it on day 1. It was a very small piece of mushy bread. I also take a pro biotic. I take the one that is kept refrigerated. Other than that little piece of bread it is liquid diet of broth and jello. Stay away from red jello because if your anything like me it will freak you out when you go to the bathroom!
  • Posted

When they say clear liquids until pain is gone, does that mean all pain completely gone? I'm on day 4 of clear liquids and scared to death to have a bite of food with meds. Most of the pain is gone, I just have one spot that is still tender. Do I have to stay clear liquids till it's completely gone? Also, I'm having horrible acid & gas. What's the best thing that has worked for you?

• Posted

Hi Chris

As this is your first attack your pain might well go completely.  However, if you have been reading this forum you will have realised that for some people the pain never goes completely, but just subsides to the occasional twinge.  With my first attack 16 years ago, the pain did go completely after about 4 weeks, and also after 2 further attacks 10 and 4 years ago.  However this time I had 3 attacks in quick succession and 16 months later I still get niggles.  So as you can see, staying on clear liquids until all pain is gone is not only impractical, it would be dangerous.  I would certainly suggest you stay on the clear liquids until you have finished the antibiotics.  Depending on where you live, that can be 5 - 14 days or even longer.  To help with the gas, I take peppermint tea, and others have tried ginger tea.  I also take a chilled liquid probiotic I get from the supermarket, plus Aloe Vera juice or pills (not the juice drink but the pure stuff).  Revolting but it helped me.  Lining your tummy with something like mushy white bread can help - for me it was always a spoonful of plain boiled white rice.  The gas is very common - your insides have got nothing to get hold of.  Don't know about the acid reflux though.  I have a hiatus hernia and get it anyway, so I don't have acidic or citric food/drink.  I also avoid salty things.  I take a mouthful of a liquid antacid if it is playing up.  You'll find this forum full of helpful advice.  As your pain is reducing, hopefully you will soon be feeling much better.  Slow and steady!  Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you! I'm on day 4 of antibiotics, I don't think I can make it thru 10 days on clear liquid! All that liquid and no food, my stomach is like a volcano of acid. To top things off, I'm gluten intolerant and allergic to rice. Any suggestions of other things I could try?

• Posted

I'm gluten intolerant as well and I must say the gluten free bread doesn't do it for me, although I find the pasta OK.  I suggest you try something like cream of mushroom or chicken soup and dunk some crustless white bread in it.  I also found meal replacement drinks and plain Greek yogurt were good.  Other posters have suggested lightly scrambled egg, plain steamed white fish, mashed potato.  Small portions only and see how it goes.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Chris, I have the exact same thing, horrible acid reflux. I also get nauseous when I take the antibiotics. I think I am going to try some acid reflux medicine and see if that works. I am on day 3 of Cipro and Flagyl, still some lower abdominal pain, but now this acid reflux is worsesad hopefully you will feel better as well, any suggestions or successes anyone has please let us know.
    • Posted

Yes, nauseous also. I hate antibiotics, they also make my armpits breakout with yeast. I take probiotics, but they just can't keep me ahead of the breakouts. I took some Gaviscon last night, it has helped the most with the acid so far. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

I am in the middle of a DD attack and can feel your pain. The Doctor has given me antibiotic with a liquid diet for a few days. He has stopped all my medication except the omerprazol which is an anti acid tablet, I take 40mg of these as I make too much acid anyway. I think a little live yogurt when taking the antibiotic would not hurt, but nothing solid yet. My Doctor has taken blood test and made an appointment to see him again on Friday. I am also taking something to put back the salt,sugar etc in water and told to drink large amounts of water. while on a fluid only diet. I am passing a little  blood now and a great deal of wind, nothing to worry about!  hope this helps

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.