Liquorice and Prednisolone!

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi fellow sufferers.  Some of you may know this already, but I thought it might be helpful to let you know what I've found out about Prednisolone and Liquorice. 

I've been suffering from the usual dreadful fatigue and other symptoms of both PMR and reducing Prednisolone and I'm now down to 5mg a day and have stabilized at this level.  However a couple of weeks ago, while having an episode of feeing particularly dreadful, I questioned everything about both Prednisolone and PMR and in doing so, I looked into what might be in my diet that could react badly with Pred'.  Bingo! Liquorice!!  Apparantly it's the one most important thing that shouldn't mix with Prednisolone and it makes withdrawal symptoms much worse.

I like herbal and fuit teas and a particular favourite of mine contains liquorice.  As I've all but cut out alcohol, I've tended to drink this tea before going to bed and sometimes during the day.  I haven't drank it now for two weeks and the headaches have subsided.  I feel much less fatigued and fuzzy and generally better in myself.

Hopefully this might just be useful for some of you to know.

4 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That was new to me - thanks for the tip - will keep it in mind.
  • Posted

Well that would explain my terrible headaches a few months back. I was taking massive amounts of liquorice to counteract stomach acidity and GERD I stopped about a month ago and the headaches dropped too . Another good reason for popping in here every day!

It seems we are in a catch 22 situation. Pred causing stomach problems and remedies causing bad reactions..... Such is life! Shame I love liquorice.

• Posted

I tried the lemon recipe for my indigestion and acid reflux

and it works like a charm.....I haven't taken any anti-acid

pills in over a week.   Check back a few sites and get

the directions for squeezing one lemon and drinking part

of it three times a day....worked like a charm.

• Posted

I think really it amounts to the usual caveat: check out any supplements or dietary additions before using them alongside pred. Not that I imagine any pharmacist would think about that and GPs wouldn't know!

Many herbal teas have medicinal properties - so obviously must have pharmaceutical effects to do that. So care is needed when mixing them with pharmaceuticals of any sort.

• Posted

TIMELY POST FOR ME! I am "stuck" taking both Pred and an NSAID for now to treat different conditions. I am taking Prilosec (omeprazole)as well as stomach protector but was just remembering that I had read licorice was the thing and was considering trying that next. Guess what? I will not be trying that right now. Thank you!
  • Posted

Thank goodness I hate liquorice - can't stand the smell let alone the taste.  I'm doing one thing right!!
  • Posted

Very interesting. I've been reading many of these posts and have considered my diet and PMR. I did not know this correlation. Good to know!

I do know that ever since I got PMR, I have no desire for alcohol. I use to enjoy a glass of wine occasionally, now I take one sip and it sits. Although I've never been much of an alcohol drinker, I have no desire for it at all now.

I'm down to 5 mg Pred. for the 2nd time. Scaled down from 15mg each time after a year. I took it very slow. I'm now heading into year 3.

I have no real side effects of Pred which is good. So staying here at 5mg seems to do the job. My Dr basically let's me call the shots as to when I can go down or if I need to go up on Pred.

This forum is the most information I've ever seen on PMR. I have learned a lot and feel the disease is a bit more serious than I previously thought. How I'm feeling these last few years really is this disease and not me mentally. It's sad the great physical shape I use to be in has just gone down the toilet. I started a great running hobby at 53, when my husband was dying from cancer. I was a pretty good runner! It kept me off of anti-depressants. I loved it. It was my Zoloft. After some foot problems I decided to cycle more. Then after 2011 and some stressful events throughout the year I was hit by PMR and thyroid problems. I've mentioned all this previously in a post. I've battled back so many times. Now at 62, I've really slowed. I still cycle some good distances, work in the yard a lot, I've always been high energy. Even with this disease I out-work most friends my age. It's just a bummer I'm not what I use to be. Now I'm that lady that always talks about her health problems, like most old people. I will be back to running someday. I battled back last year and ran just 3 road races and placed in all of them. It pays to be an old woman in a 5K. Now I'm dealing with Plantar Faschitis again and some female problems that both require surgery. So next year will be my year! Watch me! Do not give up my friends! It could be worse! We are still standing and not 6ft under!

• Posted

"We are still standing and not 6ft under!"

Oh absolutely Pam - it's what I want to shout when people are so upset about what they have lost in terms of what they can do. I can't cycle or swim other than backstroke because of a back problem besides the PMR - and so many swimming pools won't let you swim backstroke! I've just started to clear the mess on the balcony after having the wood sanded and re-coated (not happy about how it was done but hey-ho) and sweeping and washing the floor has finished me for the day I think! The rest will have to wait.

But my niece has cystic fibrosis and I suspect she has just been told she's to be put on the transplant list as she was down to about 30% lung function earlier in the year and her mother has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Both of them have always been keen walkers and my SIL is/was a very "on the go" person - just being with her exhausted me! So my PMR and its add-ons are minimal in comparison.

• Posted

It is so true!!  Some days we are "oh, woe is me" but when we look at what we can do and the future we have to look forward to,  many, many others don't, we have to really be thankful.

Thanks for the reminder because I was having one of those days😕💕.

• Posted

I think I read on another forum you have Sheuermann's disease is that right? I have it and it's a real problem - most of the time I don't know if the pain in my back is from it or the PMR.

I agree that you just have to 'get on with it'. It's a good day if I wake up and I'm not dead. lol

• Posted

I have been told I have burnt-out Scheuermanns but I don't remember mentioning it on another forum, maybe another Eileen or this Eileen's pred-brain.

Funnily enough - the discomfort from that has also improved dramatically with having Bowen therapy. I imagine that a lot of the pain post-Scheuermanns could well be from muscles trying to compensate for the other problem. In my case I need a bit of Bowen therapy every 6 months or so because whatever it is that causes the muscle problem is still there, it isn't like trauma upsetting the muscles - but I enjoy the sessions so much I don't mind.

• Posted

Forgot to say - we had a friend who reckoned that after 40 if you woke up and nothing hurt you were probably dead...
    • Posted

Hi Pam, I'm also 62 and just at the beginning of my journey of PMR and feel a bit depressed because I battled with breast cancer in 2013 and really didn't want any other sickness BUT I like this forum and feel a little uplifted that there is help. I also feel in quite good hands with my doctor but a bit nervous about the cortisone treatments.fingers crossed. And yes, we are still vertical! Best wishes Kristina
    • Posted

Pam, like you, I'm still at 5mg @ 18mos. I also have lost my apreciation for drinking, and somewhat for eating as well.  I'm as light now as I can be and still be healthy and strong as a cyclist.

Glad that you are still riding!  I make a point of riding as soon as I feel like it, most every day.  I ride only as hard as I feel like, but sometimes suffer a bit on the ride home after a couple of hours.

The exercise didn't cure my PMR like I had hoped, but improves life generally, very important.

Good luck with getting your health back entirely.

• Posted

Fortunately I've not had stomach discomfort on Pred but wanted to mention I use to find liquorice raised my blood pressure A LOT, especially if I had a lot of it!  I stay away from it these days and my blood pressure is normal.  Maybe some of its ill effects for others has been a rise in their blood pressure.
    • Posted

Yes I was about to post about liquorice and blood pressure when I saw your reply, Leonard.  When I was young, it was nothing for me to get through a small bag of liquorice allsorts  - really love them.  Have avoided them for years now though since I read about their potential to worsen high blood pressure.  Unfortunately, I haven't had the success you seem to have had with your blood pressure since avoiding liquorice.
    • Posted

I have had fairly few problems with stomach since putting my Prednisolone tablets into empty gelatin pill cases bought on Amazon for £2.50 for 200.. 00 size. Best move I ever made as I was having real bad acid reflux all day and night.. so much I couldn't talk or eat. Now I dont even need gaviscon except once in a blue moon.

• Posted

I find that if i have plain yougurt before and after  my pred i dont suffer with any acid , i think some one on here did mention this.

• Posted

I love liquorice allsorts too but have kept off them recently with pred. I understand that beetroot is good at reducing blood pressure. You can get beetroot juice at supermarkets nowadays too. 
    • Posted

Thank you ptolemy.  I did buy a carton of organic beetroot juice just a couple of weeks ago.  It's quite a large glassful you have to drink every day and one carton is probably not enough to have any effect on my BP but it did result in everything coming out pink the other end!redface
    • Posted

The trouble is a lot of the juices are also mixed with quite a lot of apple juice. Probably better to go for solid beetroot, it is supposed to be good grated in salads, very nouvelle cuisine. 
    • Posted

Yes your right, ptolemy - there was 10% apple juice added to the beetroot juice - probably makes it a bit more palatable.  I'm sure grating raw beetroot in salads would be the best way - will try that next.
    • Posted

A salad can look really attractive using different coloured beetroots. I am not growing beetroot this year, just tomatoes, chard and trombone shaped courgette. 
    • Posted

Hi Mrs, O,

i just had a beetroot salad at a restaurant the other night. The beets (what we call them in Canada) were roasted, cooled and cut into bite size pieces, then mixed with a little olive oil and balsamic reduction. They were then put on a bed of raw greens and topped with a couple of dollops of lemon marscapone cheese, roasted hazel nuts and then a drizzle of more balsamic reduction or lemon infused olive oil.  It was yummy, even my hubby liked it and he's not a beet lover.  We even made it for my sister and it wasn't hard because you can buy the balsamic reduction in the grocery store and just add lemon juice and a bit of sweetener to the marscapone.

Every once in awhile it's fun to try something different, especially if it's good for you☺️.

• Posted

Mrs Mac, reading that has made my mouth water - it sounds really delicious, and healthy into the bargain.  Good of the restaurant to share their recipe with you, and thank you for sharing it with us, too.
    • Posted

Beetroot as salad is very common all over the Alpine region and I love it. This area grows them, together with potatoes. Call me a philistine but our local spuds are rubbish while the beetroot are great. The only problem is it is very difficult to find them raw to cook for yourself, they are all ready-cooked in vacuum packs and I assume not roasted. Roast beetroot as a hot vegetable is also lovely.
    • Posted

I could eat that any day - trouble is, OH wouldn't even try it so I'd have to finish off the tub of mascarpone. Not that that would be a trial mind you...
    • Posted

I eat beetroot in a mixed salad almost every day, but mostly the kind you buy ready cooked in a pack, occasionally buying it raw and cooking it myself.  However, I have never tried it roasted but I love all other roasted veggies so would be sure to enjoy roasted beets too.  However, I'm thinking that grating them raw in salads might be the healthiest way to go.  Now, I'll join you any day in finishing off that tub of marscapone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.