Lis Franc Injury

Posted , 4 users are following.

Almost 8 weeks ago a car ran over my left foot leaving me with three fractures including first metatarsal, toe and one between toe and first finger. First four weeks I was in an open cast and the last three weeks in a foot fracture shoe. Now the surgeon is recommending I go for physiotherapy three times a week. But on the days I exert myself going to work I come home with a swollen foot and pain. I feel pain especially in the front end of my foot where I feel something is pulling very tight with weight. I explained this to my surgeon but he assured me that all my fractures have healed and that my recovery has been slow. He took my weightbearing x-rays as i cried. He has advised me to wear running shoes and go for physiotherapy and not be afraid. He told me i could throw away my crutches and wheelcahir which I use to go to work. Any suggestions. I am concerned about going to physio despite swelling and pain in foot which usually recedes after 24 hours of rest.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Speak to your physio. I fractured my metatarsal and had conflicting advise from my doctor and the physio.

The doctor was telling me I needed to have physio and my fracture was healed whereas she was telling me she couldn't do it as my foot was so swollen.

I ended up seeing a different doctor and getting a 2nd opinion.

• Posted

What was the second opinion? A friend too urged me to go for a second opinion but when i read the reviews they suggested he was pushing everyone towards surgery and more interested in making a dime than providing a care so I decided to stick to my first surgeon.
    • Posted

My 2nd doctor found underlying issues that weren't the fracture. He did different types of x rays and scans and found the problem.

I did end up having surgery but not to do with the fracture.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Joanne. I wish you a speedy recovery! Sending love and good wishes you way.

• Posted

Ritu, it's a very scary feeling after you've been told your fractures have healed and you still feel pain but I want to encourage you to believe your doctor and let the physio help you.

I didn't wear my Air Cast Boot because I wanted to retain as much mobility as possible in my ankle and toes, even so I am not without some pain and pulling/stiffness not just in my fractured foot but also in my leg and my supporting leg. My fracture is 5 weeks post injury. I am having physio and getting back to normal. I have a bruised feeling over the fracture site, all the muscles and tendons feel tight. I feel like I can't walk down stairs properly because my leg feels too short but actually it's just a tight calf muscle.  The muscle in the sole of my foot feels tight and pulls and my toes don't want to point as they did before my accident. I've had physio for one week and now many of these issues are getting better. Trust in your physio and accept that there will be some discomfort or pain during your rehabilitation and that's  a completely normal part of the process. I'm supposed to bear a pain count of 2 out of 10 when doing my exercises.  It does get better but you have to work at it to reclaim your mobility.

Be brave and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Jac I can't thank you enough for this very kind and thoughtful advice. I decided to follow it.smile Wish you a speedy and full recovery!!

• Posted

I am so so sorry for your pain. It sounds like your present Dr is not is not working. How in the world would any Dr perform a procedure while you are crying? I suggest you go to another orthopedic surgeon Now, run don't walk! Don't do anything that is painful. I hope you get the treatment you need. Let me know how it works out!

Mary

• Posted

Thank you Mary for your kind and thoughtful concern. I appreciate it very much. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. I decided to listen to my surgeon and see a physiotherapist. The therapist told me that if the surgeon has said the fractures have healed then we can start with physio. The swelling in the foot it also because of lack of use of any bones or muscles for the last two months. The fluids therefore have been accumulating and exercising will help get my muscles and bones working again. He said it simply 'work it or lose it.' He showed me some simple basic exercises and after doing them I felt so much better and relieved. I have agreed to meet him twice a week for now. The swelling is there but I just put my feet my up after exercising and it recedes after sometime. The surgeon had suggested seeeing the therapist three times a week but the latter has suggested twice a week. After my accident my foot had gone completely limp and numb. I do feel the pain a little even now but it is bearable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.