LIS surgery recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone out there who has had a more recent LIS experience? I’ve noticed the comments are a bit dated. I am seeking and also want to share info in regards to my recent LIS surgery on July 2. 

I am a 48 year old female who eats clean, exercises, but has had some constipation issues over the years, nonetheless. My fissure occurred seemingly after a trip abroad. I thought it was a hemorrhoid with which I’ve managed before, but the pain became more exacerbated over many weeks. My morning bm was agony that left me in pain all day and would only relent in the evenings. 

I went to a gastro dr who sent me immediately to a colorectal surgeon after diagnosing a fissure. I was given Diltiazem (a compounded ointment) and told to take laxatives. Over two weeks it seemed I was improving, and then I had two setbacks; one caused by a difficult bm and the other from diarrhea caused by the Miralax catching up with me. 

Those put me in the ER and I was seen by my surgeon that day.  I was told afterwards I was in the 15-20% who end up with TWO fissures before surgery.  Unbeknownst to me, the first was chronic, the second acute, most likely caused by the setbacks. As well, my surgeon explained that he “cleaned” the scar tissue (piles) that had resulted from the chronic fissure. 

Scary info. As you can imagine, I dreaded the recovery journey ahead. 

It is day 10 post-surgery now.  I am still in quite a lot of pain, particularly with the urgency leading up to my bm in the morning, and then throbbing, burning pain for hours afterwards which waxes and wanes.  I refuse to take any narcotic pain killers for fear of constipation. Instead, I take two 500 mg Tylenol three times a day along with three 600 mg ibuprofen pills in between dosings. This does help take the edge off, however I must be careful with walking, lifting, straining in any way right now as that triggers moments of pain. 

As well, I could not bear this terrible ordeal without consistent use of my sitz bath. I find it more relieving to use hot water with Epsom salt (I prefer Dr Teals with Rosemary and Mint which has an antiseptic effect) rather than just warm water.  I feel it generates blood flow in the area much better.  I am currently doing baths for 10 min at a time about 7 times a day. (I am thankful to work from home at this time)

My laxative cocktail remains to be a challenge for me.  I am doing 1 dose (17mg) of Miralax and taking two Ducolax (200mg ducosate sodium stool softener,) however I am still battling intermittent diarrhea. When I halve that dosing, I am having slightly firmer bm that cause much more pain. 

My diet continues to be fiber-rich with mostly fruits and greens, very little wheat, diary and sugar, small portions of lean protein, and increased water intake. 

Lastly, I must mention that meditating has been a lifesaver for me. I’ve been doing a pain management course thru the wonderful meditation app called Insight Timer which a yoga instructor recommended. Breathing and changing my thought patterns around this pain have been crucial. 

Overall, I am relieved to have done the surgery.  I only wish I had done it sooner when I was first diagnosed with the fissure. As a side note, my surgeon told me my chronic fissure would not have improved without surgery.  I would have had reoccurrences, continued pain and anxiety. 

I hope my story has been helpful to those out there suffering and desperately seeking information as I have. I’d like to throw out some questions to those who have had LIS surgery with the hope to compare notes and speed relief:

1:  Has anyone experienced urinary issues, primarily urgency and increased frequency? This has been an ongoing problem for me since this began. Is there relief of that with fissure healing?

2:  Has anyone found that perfect laxative/stool softener “cocktail” that works for them?

3:   Any recommendations for foods that increase stool softening, but are not laxative producing?  My problem is not the urgency to go, but the actual softness of the bm. 

4:  Has anyone had two fissures out there and gone thru recovery after LIS that has included a removal of scar tissue? What has your experience been?

Many thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kartvm, wow you've been through so much. It does sound very similar to my experience but I had Botox instead of LIS on May 18th.

I had been dealing with pain from a very bad constipation episode and passing a very large hard stool back in November (unusual for me). Self treated as I also thought it was a hemorrhoid and the pain was up and down, but mostly tolerable. By the end of March the pain got so bad I finally went to the doctor who also thought I had a hemorrhoid and referred me to a Colorectal Surgeon. He did a colonoscopy (Big Ouch) and banded an internal hemorrhoid. After that, the pain was unbearable. When having a BM it felt like my stool had broken glass with barbed wire in it and the pain from the terrible spasms post BMs lasted for many, many hours. Went back to the CRS and he confirmed I had a bad chronic fissure which was made worse by the colonoscopy no doubt. He laid out the options, cream, Botox and LIS. I started fthe cream for about a week but decided to go for the Botox because I did not want to risk permanent incontinence and the Botox wears off after a few months. I have IBS with primarily diarrhea (causing the fissure) and it just scared me too much. Did the Botox and the first month after was an absolute nightmare, in fact I thought the Botox didn't work. I had to take a medical leave because there was no way I could work or do anything... was literally bed bound with agonizing pain for at least 4/5 weeks. My husband had to look after me. Like you, took plenty of baths and managed my diet and fibre intake (still do). It was a full time job dealing with what I call my ass devil lol. I saw the CSR  about 4 weeks after the Botox and he told me the Botox did work to loosen the muscle but he wanted to cauterize the wound to promote healing as the fissure was fibrous and he didn't think it would heal. I did not want more pain and recovery so we agreed to wait two weeks and see how I was feeling pain wise and I could cancel the procedure if feeling better. I don't know if it was the fear of this cauterization procedure (certainly not looking forward to BBQing my butt) but I actually felt better. The CRS was so impressed with the healing in those two weeks (50%) that he declared me an expert on the care of anal fissures, hilarious (think I'll pass on announcing that to the world). I have finally returned to work this week and the pain is very minimal/tolerable. But I really have to be careful not to reopen the fissure.

Here's what helped me:

1. Metamucil 2 times a day before breakfast and dinner

2. 1 Tablespoon of Organic Coconut oil every morning

3. 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed  - one in my morning shake and one with berries and yoghurt at night

4. 2.5 to 3 litres of water daily - this is really important as with Fibre supplementation you need lots of water

5. Coconut water is good for hydration and to help move things along so I do drink about 1/2 to 1 full glass daily

6. I was drinking pure aloe vera juice as well (it tastes BAD) I no longer use it but it does help too

7. 3 dried prunes daily - breakfast, lunch and dinner

8. Sitz baths (the kind that fits over the toilet) with coconut oil and witch hazel when I can't have a full bath

9. Bath with the Dr. Teal stuff you mention but I love the avocado oil one (this stuff is AMAZING!!) I swear it helped me to heal faster - still do this every morning before I go to work - life saver!!

10. I apply pure aloe vera gel and I use an organic olive oil salve. I take these, mix them and, I know it sounds nasty but I use a small syringe (without a needle) fill it with this mixture and inject this into the anus as I find this the best way to get the cream onto the fissure otherwise the creams, etc. just sit in the outside.  

11. I still use the diltiziem cream 2 times a day and plan to for a full 12 weeks course (CRS said it was ok)

12. Lastly, I bought a Squatty potty (on Amazon) this simulates a squatting position when having a BM which is the natural way humans are supposed to eliminate waste. It's a stool you rest your feet on while on the toilet (it's a wonder).

I find I did not want to take stool softeners or laxatives as they can have a rebound effect... not that I'm against using them but I prefer using a more natural approach to keeping the stools soft and easy to move. 

I hope this information is helpful. I am not healed yet but all of the above has got me to a relatively pain free place where I can resume my life. 

Feel free to message me is you want more info or just to chat.

All the best.

Vuki

• Posted

I can’t thank you enough Vuki!

So many helpful hints here and much appreciated!

I am also using coconut oil, externally, which seems to be pretty popular in the anal fissure sufferers world! Lol  There must truly be some healing properties. I will start taking it orally, as well. 

I do have a pediatric oral medication syringe. You have inspired me now to try using it to insert ointments closer to the fissure. Although the doctor and nurses have told me the sphincter muscle naturally draws in ointments into the rectum, I am finding none that I have tried have worked and do believe I have to actually get it to the site. 

Question:  the olive oil salve, which do you use? Can i find something pure enough on Amazon?

Many thanks to you, again! I am grateful to have met you Vuki!

Kelly

• Posted

Hi Kelly:

Happy to help, this thing is a nightmare to deal with I know. Do you know how to send a personal message through the forum? I will happily respond and send you the name of the organic olive oil salve I purchased. If I do it through the public forum the Moderators will delete it as they do not allow members to endorse products or provide links to their sites. I am from Canada and the stuff I bought was from a company in BC...where are you from? 

Cheers,

Vuki

Vuki

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.