Lisfranc mid foot fusion fall in september16

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fell in September16 and waiting for a midfoot reconstruction on my right foor, in form of fusion of 1st 2nd and 3rd metatarsals, my orthopedic consultant   tells me that a sucess rate is 90percent but its long recovery period upto one year. Can anyone please please advise me who had this procedure and is happy and sucessful

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had the same procedure done in September 2015. Bone grafts and fusion went extremely well. Yes, the recovery period is long but the outcome outweighed the slow recovery. I was non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I highly recommend using a knee scooter to make life easier. Also I bought a toilet seat riser which made things easier. At times the swelling was bad and my toes looked like cocktail sausages. I had trouble with getting shoes to fit but I found lace ups to be the best. I got into physio about 2 weeks post surgery which I did a couple of times a day which helped my recovery. Pain was minimal. I am going in for another round of surgery next month (different bones in same foot) and had no hesitation due to the pain I have from my recent fall. All the best but get a knee scooter - a must!
    • Posted

I am planning to have this surgery later this year too. The recovery sounds  pretty awful and LONG. So any reccomendations welcome. My surgeon told me the best way to get up and down stairs is on my bottom.  Have flight of of 5-6 steps I would need to navigate.I tried this and couldnt even get up into a standing position on my so called good foot which is painful too and that knee has arthritis! So I'm wary.

• Posted

Hi Jan Thank you for reply and my concern is also the recovery and be pain free for rest of my life.I am very active and Gym going guy, I can compromise my Marathon runs etc but wish to live to look after myself and enjoy every day. Spending six months in recovery will be woth a price to pay. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for your information and sharing your knowlege, Can you share if procedure is sucssful and was it worth going all the pain and ristrctions. Thanksi
    • Posted

thank you for advise and can you recomand this complex procedure and is it a sucess storey. I had a consultaion today and hoping to have OP in October. Any further tips will be welcome. Thanks
  • Posted

Sorry about my other reply got cut short ...ended with toilet! Anyway I'm week 15 post op and can honestly say now I'm so glad I had it done if you would have asked me las week ...... different story..... recovery is slow so prepare yourself to have a lot of time on your hands my I pad was my saviour I learned so much! Swelling is my only problem now , which causes some pain but nothing compared to the pain pre op , follow up physio now for me and hopefully back to work in two weeks , I wish I has asked questions before I felt so alone but there is loads of us out there good luck with your op . Be patient take it easy , take care and good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you for reply , as all I can see a very negative information on search. I had my consultation to-day and hoping to have my op in October. I am told that there is a risk of 1% infaction, 10% swelling and 80-90% sucess rate with long recover period. Good luck and please keep posting as there are lot like us, but very few with encoraging notes. many thanks  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.