Lisinopril-HCTZ 20/25 mg - High Blood Pressure

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am taking this medication once a day for the last 3 days. I am feeling very bad, pressure on my head, some chest pain, cramps on my neck and feel very weird.  I want to reduce my blood pressure naturally.  Can I stop this medication?  I only took it for 5 days. I was reading here, that a lot of people has been losing weight and exercise and now they have a normal blood pressure.  Please let me know, what I can do.  The sides effects are horrible.  Thank you 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

ana47675...You've only been on the meds for 5 days, & I'm sorry to tell you, but  you must give the meds a better chance to do their job.I'd be inclined to ride it out for at least another week or so, then if there's no change, get back to your Dr. From what I'm aware, most people don't take 20/25mg of the HCTZ..they start out with 12.5 mg. This poses the question...why did your doctor prescribe this higher dose of the diuretic? You COULD reduce that to 12.5 but don't do it without your Dr's knowledge. 

What I don't like is the chest pain you've mentioned. You really should report this.

• Posted

Ana47675, hi ana.  with these side effects you're experiencing, you must call your doctor and report them or go to the emergency room or walk in clinic or atleast call them and bring the medications with you. Explain the side effects you have to the doctor.   Blood pressure medications are serious medications and side effects should not be ignored.  Discuss diet and exercise with your doctor to try and lower your Blood pressure without medications.  I developed some bad side effects with lisinopril and metoprolol and stopped the metoprolol and weaned down to 5mg of lisinopril...almost all side effects went away except for stiff and painful joints.  I too don't do well with most medications so i have to  find alternatives. Good luck and be well...I didn't get side effects until almost 2 years after taking lisinopril too so that really shocked me..i've read though this happens to many people...

• Posted

Mary Beth08170...Hello...I seem to be reading more & more about people experiencing side effects with Lisinipril. Any bp medication ending in "il"...is an ACE Inhibitor. Some people think there's no difference between Lisinopril, Perindopril or Elanapril but there certainly is. A bp medication known as Coversyl is made up of Perindopril, & I've been on that med for a few years now. Actually, my med is "Coversyl Plus HD" which has a diuretic in it...but it's a good quality diuretic. No problems with it whatsoever.

I'm reading more & more also about people having major issues with Metropolol. I was on that med a few years back & suffered horrid headaches. The headaches would always start at 11am..just about 1 1/2 hrs after taking the Metropolol. It got to the point where I had to come off. I then went on Atenolol..yes another beta blocker; but here's the difference. Metropolol is fat soluable, whereas Atenolol is water soluable. No headaches at all with the Atenolol. A Pharmacist friend of mine explained the difference, & said that likely my body didn't like the Metropolol...& also one crosses the blood brain barrier, whereas the other does not.

Your'e right...bp medications are serious meds...but they too must be given a chance to do their job. A few days isn't going to tell the true story, but if someone is suffering what could be serious side effects, i.e. chest pain, etc...then by all means a trip to the ER is in order.

• Posted

It may need because you need higher dosage of medication. It also could be the opposite, ask your doctor about the issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.