LITHIUM

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Psychiatrist wants to prescribe for me as most of the ADs have stopped working.  I would like to know if there is anyone on the Forum who has taken Lthium and what they felt about and how long they were on it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Patricia, I've neveder taken Lithium but I believe it is for Manic Depression.  I had a roommate at the Veterans hospitals and he took it and had mood swings alot.  He was fine for days and really a nice guy then he would get very, very down for days and he would binge eat and not want to participate.  Also while on these binges he was messy.  He would finish a bag of chips or carton of milk and just toss the bag or carton on the floor.  I heard he leveled out once he got leveled out but before that I was moved to another ward/  I think the doctors at the VAs tried us on everything and sometimes we didn't even know what we were taking.
    • Posted

Thanks for get ting back Frank.  I have read it's for Bipolar and I don't have that.  I'm not on it yet he has upped the Venlafaxine first

Pat

• Posted

Okay patricia-I wonder why he would want to put you on that if you aren't bi-polar?  I can't figure doctors out.  Did you know 400000 deaths are caused every year by medical errors?  Blew my mind when I heard that.  I googled it and it is true.  I always proceed with extreme caution everytime I am prescribed a new med especially after what happened to me.  I was not receptive to any anti-depressant and my psychologist said my depression was cause because of my physical ailments and who wouldn't be depressed with them, he said.  I had a doctor once tell me my problems were all in my head and this psychologist told me to ask him if my head was attached to my body.  I did and that doctor shut his mouth.  Depression is bad-maybe worse than any other illness because they can't see it.  Depression is not crazy-it is a illness.  Our brains are som complex and delicate.  I find people with depression are usually sensitives and so talented once they focus on thae talent they are born to have.  Musicians are often depressed.  Actors are often depressives-artists.  Do you have inclinatons to play music? sing-paint? Write?  Maybe we can talk again sometime?  Good luck.  Frank 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Frank.  I felt the same as you - why is he putting me on Lithium when I am not Bipolar or very severely depressed.  Anyway I am not on it yet so I am hoping I won't need it.

Regards.

Pat

• Posted

I have a few aquaintances from the past who say that the lithium worked for them. It sometimes has the effect of making you tired but works with depression and bipolar I think.

Richard.

• Posted

Thanks Richard.  At least you put my mind at rest as I thought the effects would be horrible.  He couldn't prescribe it as I was having an operation on my broken thumb and you can't take Lithium if you are having a GA. He has upped my Venlafaxine by 75 mg though I can't feel any difference yet.

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.