Lithium advice please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been depressed for years and on 200mg of sertraline, plus 30mg of Mertazapine ( it was 45mg ).

However a few days ago i started on 400mg of Lithium aswell.

My question is should i carry a 'Lithium alert card' ? Hope someone knows the answer.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi', I'm not sure about needing to carry an alert card for lithium as you are also on other meds,. I was put on lithium a couple of years ago and also on other meds and did'nt need to carry a card but am wondering if you have been put on lithium as other meds not helping? I personally asked to come off lithium as was'nt helping the depression and made me put on weight which made me feel even more down. 

Hope you don't mind me asking? But are you being tried on different medications to see which one helps you and suitable for you? I noticed you are on mertazepine?  I was tried on this also  and had to come off it as it made me feel "So angry"  and I am a very easy going person and have never had anger issue problems. I so hope you start feeling better very soon and wondered if anything atall has helped you as it is a long time you have been unwell? I feel for you as I felt at one time I was going no where and not getting any better until I was put on venlafaxine,. After a couple of months I started to feel better gradually and believe me' " life was becoming enjoyable at times.. 

I never thought I would ever feel better' but atlast I started my very long road to recovery. I still have not so good days , but at last the good out weigh the bad.

• Posted

Many thanks for the reply. The psychiatrist is hoping the Lithium will kick start the Sertraline and Mertazapine. Cos i'm still depressed. The Sertraline seems to have stopped the suicidal thoughts. Cos they thought the suicidal thoughts were linked to a kind of OCD. Which i tend to agree. Anyway i'm not having any serious side affects so far, apart from the Mertazapine. When i take that in the evening i just want to eat everything, especially sweet things. The urge to eat is crazy.

Anyway, good luck with the venlafaxine. I was on that about 10 years ago, and it made me worse. The higher the dose the more suicidal i felt.

• Posted

Hello,

I really do feel for you. I have tried a number of meds & nothing works & am at such a liss & give up now sad

• Posted

Hi there. Many thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you havn't found anything that works. I've been depressed on and off for 43 years. And they still havn't found anything to help me. But in my experience it usually goes after a year or so regardless of whether i'm taking any 'happy' pills. I'm realistic in that i know anti-depressants are not going to change my social situation or my personal life. Only i can do that. But some anti-depressants are going to help me make those changes. Sorry for mumbling on and on. Try and battle on through those bad days... cos there will be good days ahead.

• Posted

The reason for carrying a card is in case you are taken ill and unable to tell a doctor what medication you are on, as lithium can affect how you respond to illness and treatment. I have found that lithium helps control my depression when a range of different antidepressants didn't. I hope it helps you.
    • Posted

Hi there, Many thanks for the reply. Yep, that makes sense now. Fingers crossed Lithium might help me. And good look with your situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.