Lithium and bloating and other mood stabiliasers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

Someone please give me some advise. I have bipolar 2 and in the past I was on epilim and seroquol and it worked sort of ok, except for the huge weight gain. Last year November I went for a couple of ECT sessions and the doc put me on Geodon and molipaxin. The first 2 months I didn't really had any side effects bothering me but then in Feb I had to stop using the Geodon as I had constant spasms in my face, biting my jaw and theeth, just could not handle it. Then in March the molipaxin caused my breasts to be so painfull that I could not thouch them, felt like they were being removed with a knife, I lowered the dosage and it got a little better but still too sensitive so I stopped that. My doc now started me on Lithium and I was so hoping that this would work as I am tired of changing meds all the time. Now I look 6 months pregnant. My stomach is so bloated and it physically feel like my stomach is stretching. It is beyond uncomfortable. And the seroqoul now suddenly make me urinate more and I don't need that as I suffer from an overactive bladder and then lets not mention the restless legs. It seems the longer I use medicine the more the side effects come out. I am so frustrated and and this moment I am going through a manic episode. The manic episode statred the end of March so i feel a bit frazzled. Will the bloating go away? Has anyone used Tegratol as a mood stabiliser? Any other suggestions on meds? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there. I have BP2 and it took me about 3 years to get the meds and dosages right for me.   We are all different bags of chemicals, and it is pretty much trial and error to find what works best for you.  Many times a drug seemed to be perfect at first, but then after a month or two a bothersome side effect would pop up, and it was back to square one again.  Keep your eye on the prize, and don't let these set backs stop you.  You will find the right combination of meds and life will be good again.  I guarantee it.
    • Posted

Hi Doug, thanks for replying it is much appreciated. I have had BP2 for 20 years so I know what you are saying. Each time I ended up in hospital or changed phsyciatrists my medicine changed. And it is true what you say that some might work in the beginning and 4 months later not, due to the side effects. I know asked my phsyciatrist to change my meds to that which has always worked for me. He seems reluctant so I am just going to ask my GP for a new script as I am tired of changing meds every two weeks. I know what worked in the past so I will go back to that. I just need to accept the fact that I will be a round figure and not a stick figure (lol). 

Have a beautiful day.

• Posted

I take Lithium & I look 5 months pregnant atm. I have used Tegretol as a mood stabilizer before & it worked well & I don't recall any side effects.
    • Posted

Hi Joanna

Hie hie hie....found out last week that I am actually 5 months pregnant. God is good!!!!

My pshyciatrist does not want to put me on Tegretol he says it is not a good enough mood stabiliser. I am on Abilify now.....changed after being in hospital last week. So far not to bad...still a bit manic but I suppose I should give the meds some more time.

Have a fab day

• Posted

Hi I'm on lithium too..my tummy is huge the only way it gos down is dieting.. healthy eating forever I think.. as I lost it bt went on hol & it's back again... quetiapine works better I felt bt it slows your matabilism down forever that's why I changed to lithium & venlafaxine. .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.