lithium aswell as mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi can anyone give me advice on lithium im on 45mg of mirtazapine been on them for about 5 months they dont stop my depression so had a word with my psychiatrist and mentioned lithium as ive read it on this site that some of you take it , he is starting me on it but im just wondering what to expect , and how i will feel and will it help and side effects and so on any info would be great , thanks

Ricky.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

can anyone help me with info on lithium cuz im quite worried about it , and has anyone ever noticed having cold sweats on mirtazapine i seem to swet loads and then my feet and hands go cold and then have cold sweats , is that just me or has anyone else noticed it , just a thought thats bugging me if anyone else has noticed it do you have any suggestions how to solve it , thanks again ,

Ricky.

• Posted

[color=blue:4e046a1b6d]I am too on 45mg Mirtazapine for depression and to help me sleep ,

i've not been taking it very long , but still having problems , i've not noticed any side affects yet , if that helps not sure if the tablets are working as it is early days yet , I know I do not feel any different being on these , and still finding it really hard to cope etc , if you know what I mean

I do take zopiclone, if I I have problems getting off to sleep,

I hope someone can help you soon smile [color=blue][/color:4e046a1b6d][/color]

• Posted

Hi carter

here is link for info on lithium

http://www.nmhct.nhs.uk/pharmacy/mood1.htm

it will tell you all you need to know.My doctor has also asked me to consider Lithium.What i can tell you is that Lithium is something you have to be with for the [b:432f8b2a53][u:432f8b2a53]long haul [/u:432f8b2a53][/b:432f8b2a53]plus all the other stuff like blood tests etc.

With many other medications ( and i've tried quite a few!) it is possible to change fairly quickly.

I've been on mirtazapine for about 10 days i have noticed my hands and feet getting very cold but no cold sweats. What I am learning from reading the diffrent posts is how these medicines really do affect everyone differently.My last few days have been [u:432f8b2a53][i:432f8b2a53]sheer hell [/i:432f8b2a53][/u:432f8b2a53]and yet mrs bugsy says \"i've not noticed any side affects yet \" I found i had severe cold sweats with sertraline yet found no side effects with citalopram.

Take care J

• Posted

moderators please provide an explanation!

I'm not a great typist.it took me a while to type that message only to see it not there.

• Posted

Hi Jack

We have an automatic system in place to reduce the amount of spam that was being received.

Any posting with an email or web address in gets put into our alert system, which we can then edit, approve or delete as appropriate. When you submitted the posting there would have been a message explaining that it had been forwarded to the moderators for approval because it contained an e-mail or website address.

Regards

Lin

Patient Admin Team

• Posted

To Carter: I'm on lithium as you probably know and it has been a life saver for me. It has a long scary list of side effects but if you contact the docs if you notice any changes then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Some of the changes that can happen to your body are irreversable but avoidable if your bloods are checked regularily. It has pulled me out of suicidal depression and I have been taking it for about eight years. Perhaps that is what Jack means by 'the long haul' I'm not sure. I am quite confident that I'll probably stay on it for life.
  • Posted

first of all i would like to thank everyone for the info they provided so thank you , i failed to mention that sometimes i can be a binge drinker too about 2 or 3 times a week which im getting help with , cuz the amount i drink is vast , although my aim is to get better number 1 and then maybe go out just once a week at the weekend and drink sociably rather than stay in and get bladdered im wondering when i start the lithium next week will it be dangerous to drink cuz ive read that you can get dehydrated very quickly on lithium im quite scared cuz ive not conquered my bad drinking habits , so im just wondering if any who takes lithium drinks too or if you have any ideas for me , ofcourse it would just be easy to say well dont drink , but the depression has lead to me drinking vast amounts so its catch 22 at the moment , ive read that you tend to feel dehydrated a lot more so do any of you suggest when i do binge that i drink a lot of water with the alcohol ? so any ideas and info would be great thanks.

Ricky.

• Posted

Ricky/Carter. It is true that you mustn't get dehydrated otherwise the lithium levels in your blood could increase and become toxic. This is very dangerous. Usually this only applies in hot weather but lithium and binge drinking I just dont know what the consequencies would be. Ask your usual GP. I drink very moderately (very boring) but cant drink more that two large glasses of wine without becoming very sick. I suggest you talk over these issues with your GP. Your binge drinking and depression are obviously linked ie you drink to blot out painful emotions. Hopefully he will be able to help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.