lithium side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am looking for help. I have been on 400mg of lithium for nearly 4 weeks. i am having terrible stomach pains and aching legs. Yesterday the pains were excrutiating in my stomach worse than labour pains. I felt like i wanted to die and feel the same today. can anyone help will this get better? my down periods are awful i feel worse than when i wasn't taking anything. Please help any suggestions would be welcomed as i am beside myself, wish i had the guts to kill myself but i dont. how pathetic is that. sad

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Morning Alison...

Blooming heck the pains you are experiencing sound absolutely dreadful & I'm so sorry to hear you're enduring such high levels of discomfort due to a medication supposedly to relieve other symptoms & make you better.

I don't use Lithium & therefore can't help your main enquiry, however I wanted to show my support as you're feeling low & your thoughts are turning to suicidal tendencies.

You will know yourself that during low & depressive episodes the mind often resorts to the comfort of putting an end to it all; I know I do, even this morning in fact when I woke up after a bad nights sleep, the grey fog was present in my head & I turned to my husband saying that I know I won't but when you can't ever see an end to feeling dreadful, it's a thought that does go through the head.

I know this is stating the obvious, have you spoken to your GP or psyche team about your side effects, 4 weeks is a long time to feel so dreadful?

I've only experienced severe sickness, itching & other mild side effects from meds & they can be bad enough & drag the mood down further, so I empathise with you Alison & hope you can speak with your practitioners & get some help...

If you'd like to offload throughout the day, just chat, feel connected & not alone, I'm here to listen.

I receive notifications when things are posted on the site, so will respond as soon as I can.

I'm not working due to my moods at present, so it's good to feel like I can give support, it helps me too, the connection with other people who understand what we're going through.

Take care, I hope the pains ease soon. 

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for replying i am off work too handing my notice in as we speak. I have always suffered depression more than high periods. But this is the worst i have ever felt. I don't have an understanding husband he ignores me which makes me feel even worse. i am at the doctors on thursday if i last that long i will chat with her. my psychiatrist i don't like much he seems to be a jobsworth if you know what i mean. i don't like talking to friends i have always tried to get over this on my own but im struggling this time. wish there was a magic pill to take. lithium is my last option as i have tried everything else. what are you on scotie70? have you been off work for a while?

• Posted

Alison...

Excuse the delayed reply, I managed some more sleep which passes more day away!

We sound similar in our approaches, I shut myself away & don't like talking about how I feel with friends or family; it doesn't change anything, I don't feel any better for talking about it & I feel it just bogs them down & potentially makes them feel useless as they can't help!

It really doesn't help matters when you're not happy with your psychiatrist!

I've had one excellent one in 15 years who I respected & listened to.

It was the 'Mother & Baby' MH Team & I had the consultant, she was excellent, she sussed me completely & I respected her for that, I wasn't just another file!

I'm sorry to hear your husband isn't understanding & helpful, that really must add to how you feel & if you know how labour pain feels, do you have children?

I haven't been working since February. I didn't work for long, roughly 3 months & before that not for about 18 months!

I've got qualifications in a few things, skills etc, however my lacking confidence & fluctuating moods, especially depression, make me stop working.

We moved away from the city we'd always lived, family & friends 2 years ago & that hasn't helped me in the long run, I was ok at first, went high then dropped into depression.

I hope the GP sorts something out for you?

I don't take regular meds & only take antidepressants to lift lows then come off them when I get any hypomanic symptoms.

I refused Lithium!

Weight gain is a huge issue for me & most of the mood stabilising meds induce weight gain! I'm overweight as it is & that adds to my low mood.

I'm planning not to eat much this week in the hope it'll lift my mood, I know I'm feeling lower today because I've eaten more than I want to & things that'll induce weight gain; nice things that make you feel good at the time of eating, viscous circle...

My name is Justine.

Keep in touch Alison. ;0)

• Posted

Hi Justine

Thanks for getting back to me. Have you got young children? I went back to bed hence the late reply. I rang my pschycologist and been to see him this afternoon. He has prescribed me lofepramine for the depression. It is a vicous circle i refused lithium at first but had tried everything else to no avail. I am obsessed with my weight but have a dreadful diet basically it is biscuits! He seems to think that i have developed irritable bowel. so now looking into gluten free food etc. What is your diet like? A friend of mine gave me a great juice recipe which i have been trying to have for good nutrients. all it is is spinach, kale, a pink lady apple, avocado and cucumber. with the juice of a lemon. Put it all in a blender it can last for three days. you should try it, also kingsmill wholemeal sandwich thins with pease pudding and cottage cheese. you sound very much how i used to be i took anti depressants when i was low then came off them when i felt ok. Then after 6months or so would be back to square one.

take care

alison

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

hi justine

just to let you know i have replied but it is being moderated i think it is because i put my email address on.

hope it will come on here soon

Alison smile

• Posted

Oh Hi Alison...

I didn't realise that happens but I guess it stands to reason to ensure there's no abuse or advertising etc...

I haven't used it but I think there's a private message arena where contributors to the forum can write between each other without it being public.

I hope your message comes through soon & that you're ok? ;0) Xx

• Posted

Morning Justine,

Seems the post isn't going to be put on. I went to the hospital yesterday and he has given me an antidepressant to take alongside the lithium. He says i have developed ibs and restless leg syndrome from anxiety. I have been looking into a 7 day diet for ibs to see if it helps. blooming expensive tho!The pscychiatrist told me that i have to talk to friends about how i feel but i struggle with that as i am a very private person and try to sort myself out as much as i can. You sound very much like i was taking the antidepressants for a while then when you feel better come off them. I have now realised that they are a medication for life but accepting that is quite hard. How old are your children if you don't mind me asking? I have two boys 21yrs and 17yrs. I am not sure how to send private message, if you do can you send me one then i hopefully will be able to reply. Hope you had a good night sleep? I was up eating a ham sandwich at 2am!

Alison x

• Posted

Hello Alison...

I've been a bit quiet over the last couple of days.

I go in cycles like this...

So I'm not being rude in not answering.

I'll bounce back soon. 

Justine Xx

• Posted

Ah justine thinking about you. Send me a private message if u can. Im not sure how too

Alison x

• Posted

I'm on 700 lithium , and have been for 9 months . Fortunately I didn't get stomach ache for long , but had very shaky hands , and walked unsteadily to start with. It has got better over time, so hopefully your symptons will improve as well . The psychiatrist drummed into me the importance of drinking a litre of water a day which I struggle with , but I wonder if it might help you , by allowing your body to flush the medecine through. It won't do any harm to try . Maybe you do it already though. I guess I will stay on lithium through the winter and try coming off in the spring. 

Its really difficult to advise anyone else, but here goes . I was in hospitral for 3 months , and felt totally crap , when I did feel anything . When I got back I put a little note above my bedroom door . It said 'every day you stay alive is a triumph '. That was my bottom line. Even if I didn't achieve anything else that day, not killing myself was a huge acievement , because of the effects it would have had on family. It's really really easy to underestimate how much devastation it would cause when we're very down , as we think we mean nothing to anyone, and we can't think realistically . Its a huge act of bravery keeping going for those who experience depression etc, and we should all try and feel a little bit of pride everynight that we've got through another one.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time. I think it's worth talking to a pharmasist or doctor about the side effects. There is no one drug that works for everyone. I have been on Lithium for 8 years and it worked like a charm from the beginning with the acception of weight gain.

There are several other drugs for mood disorders and I hope you can find one that will work for you. Don't suffer in silence, get some professional help. Wishing you well and hope there is a quick fix for your problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.