Lithium When does weight gain stop

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am on Lithium about 5 weeks and have put on weight, which is really getting to me. How long do

you go on putting on weight?. Also, do you loose the weight?.

Thanks Hannah

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah. I have been taking lithium for fifteen years with no noticeable weight gain. As you have only been taking lithium for five weeks your GP will be checking your bloods to establish a therapeutic level. It could be anything between 0.5-1.00 or slightly higher depending what your diagnosis is? I would mention the weight gain to your GP and see if it levels out or not. I am on 1,000mg lithium and my bloods are usually 0.75.
  • Posted

Hi Pooh.bear,  the last blood test I had was .8 on 1000 mg. The last week or so has been horrendous for me. I have been so low in myself, I cannot get myself going, no motivation and so depressed. I just feel I have gone backwards not forwards. This has been leading me to think about "why am I living". The point of the Lithium is to make you feel better not worse. In the last few days I have started to wean my self off them by reducing the tabs by 200 mg each night. I am only on my third day of reducing and I can see an improvement in my mood. Has anyone else been in this position?.

Hannah

• Posted

Dear Hannah please don't reduce the lithium on your own as this can cause serious side effects. It should only be done when you have consulted your psychiatrist. It can take a while to feel better on lithium about four to six weeks or longer. I take mirtazapine with lithium and this combination keeps me well. The two drugs work in combination with one boosting the other. I wouldn't give up on lithium just yet. Can you get an emergency appointment with your GP?
  • Posted

Hi Pooh bear, thanks for replying. I know your correct in saying not to take myself off Lithium. I was with my Psychiatrist about 10 days ago and said about the weight gain and none of my clothes would fit and I was more depressed since starting Lithium. The Psychiatrist said to stay on it for another few months. But the way the Lithium is making me feel, I don't trust myself on it, as I am questioning why I am living. Since I started winding it down I feel so much better, so far no side effects. Let's hope the mood improvement continues. Some people on the forum have had the same symptoms as me. Luckily it works for some people, but not all. Yes, you do need to consult with your GP etc when you want to come off meds and I would not reccommend anyone take themselves off meds like I did without a very good reason.

Angela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.