lithotripsy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am scheduled for a Lithotripsy on January 2. The doc says I will be sedated and I have to have a pre-op physical and EKG before I get it done. Is this normal for everyone? Would like to hear how everyone else did with theirs. I was told 3 years ago that I had a stone that was 7mm and now the doc is saying it's 5mm. I'm sure I didn't pass anything so I think this is odd.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

1. Lithotripsy. I myself opted for uteroscopy as the lesser of all the evils. I had researched the Lithotripsy and came to the conclusion that the heat waves generated had the possibility of damaging organs. The uteroscopy is theoretically more intrusive, but in reality, two days of burning urine and maybe a stent for a week or two, to me, is less invasive, because the final product is freedom from pain and worry about side effects.
    2. Some folks are sedated others are mildly sedated for Lithotripsy... The pre-op EKG appears to be the norm in the USA, that's from my experience.
    3. As far as size of stones, I also received conflicting reports of sizes and when I asked, the reply was something like it depends on the angle one is viewing the stone. Not entirely convinced that this is the correct answer, but whaddaya gonna do?
  • Posted

That's pretty much how mine went. I had an EKG and several images taken beforehand, all followed by a lithotripsy. Mine went well, though I had to wear a stent afterwards for about two weeks, and that wasn't much fun. However, in hindsight the lithotripsy was better than the later cystoscopy I had, which I felt was much more painful during the post-operative period.

Good luck. It's good you're taking care of getting rid of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.