Liver??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 45 and last year i wasn't well and my gp took my bloods and they were all ok except my ALT was 94. My gp ran more liver tests for hepatitis etc and they came back ok. I was sent to a gastroenterologist who took further bloods and i tested positive for EBV which i knew i had when i was 18. My ALT was still raised but had came down significantly. He wanted to do a liver biopsy for autoimmune hepatitis but i had other issues going on and i didnt have it done. I had my bloods done a few weeks after and the ALT had gone down to 45 and i felt better.

Anway last month i was at an halloween party and had alcohol and i woke up during the night feeling sick and i was sick but more like horrid tasting water. The next day i felt sick and i projectile vomited in the bathroom. Since then i keep feeling sick and have an uncomfortable feeling in my rigt that felt strange if i coughed or strained. I had my bloods done last week and my LFT and FBC were fine, infact my ALT was 19. My potassium level was slightly raised at 5.6 so i had them done again on friday incase it was a lab error. I now have upper right sided backache everyday and the same happened last weekend when i had a drink i was up all night with nausea.

Can this be liver problems if my LFT were ok? I see my gp again tomorrow to discuss the bloods.

Sorry for long post.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi, i get like that when i used to drink being sick like that i stopped the drinking, im not sure if your pain is anything to do with your liver, but i get pain in the right hand side of my stomach and i no thats because of my liver, my lfts were raised that much i had to go hospital, i am now on urso which seems to be helping, dont worry to much about it, tell ur doctor everything, the other symptoms i get is extreme tiredness and very itchy skin, if u have any of them tell ur doctor, hope this helps smile
  • Posted

Hi Dianne. Stacey has summed it up pretty well. The first mouthful of alcohol i have the worst reaction of hot flushing that goes from my whole face down my neck and my front chest area. Very uncomfortable. If you suspect liver disease your drinking days are virtually over unless you have a death wish. 

Urso helps heaps with the fatigue and itching but does little to address my pain that i get in my joints and tendons. 

I hope its not bad news for you but really its worth having that biopsy done to get a dx one way or the other. 

Best of luck

Wilma. PBC 14 plus years. 

• Posted

hi wilmatm i am only 24years olds and only had pbc that i no of for 6months, they have already said i will need a transplant, have you had 1 or will u need 1? i also have joint pain does that get worse over years ? 
    • Posted

My pain comes and goes in waves and moves from one place to the next. Pbcers have a reputation to gaving weak wrists and have both carpels surgically repaired. Most of my  problems are with tendon pain and weakness. 

Yes have been told only cure is liver transant but Ursofalk is working well to keep my liver from further damage plus i am carefull with drugs and or alcohol use. 

Have also been told the odds are very high of new liver developing pbc as well. I am 56 and my pbc would have been dx in early 40ties. 

I find my biggest problem is i dont trust the medical fraternity and have been let down terribly by them. I try to do things as naturally as possible. 

I am really sorry you have it from such a young age but hopefully you can control the pbc rather than it controling you. 

Best of luck and thanks for sharing with me. 

Wilma. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.