Liver biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, it's been awhile since I've been on here, I forgot my password....lololo. So I had a liver biopsy on Thursday, since all of a sudden four weeks ago my liver decided to become enlarged. I called my Thru my, and explained my liver was enlarged ( I had a Ultrasound done to prove this). I was asking my Thru my if my hepatomegaly and fatty liver was due to the methotrexate, he said no, that I'm fat and need to lose weight and to continue takijng the methotrexate. But my liver continued to hurt along with lots of fatigue. So I am now waiting on the biopsy, has any one ever had this experience. I've also had lots of nail pitting, and blisters, I think my enbrel is no longer working. Oh, I have lost twenty pounds and my Thru my never asked if I was trying to lose weight, just suggested I lose weight .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry but I'd be inclined to get a new doctor who had a decent bedside attitude and manners.  He sounds arrogant.  You need his support not rudeness.

• Posted

Agree with Donna wholeheartedly! 

dear Sheila

don't want  to freak you out but I developed Mtx induced hepatitis.  I'm sure that's not the case for you but............get a 2nd opinion and as Donna says some decent support,  I'm shocked at what your rheumy said. Biological can and do stop working after a period of time;  I'm on my 5th. 2nd opinion, honey, and quickly.

• Posted

I agree with the others.... get a second opinion. Shocking attitude.

End of last March I started getting extreme abdominal swelling with such pain, my doctor finally sent me for lots of tests... I went for a colonoscopy but the swelling was so huge (it stretches to the point my skin is shiny) they said it would be dangerous to do it and took me straight to A&E where they did a CT scan and 'my liver ducts were enlarged and had lesions on it'.... I was taken off my MTX as the swelling came with fever too. The letter said 'off MTX for four weeks until symptoms subside' 4 weeks off and the symptoms hadn't subsided so contacted my rheumy's secretary saying arthritis now coming to full flare I need answers. I then went for an MRCP (a high resonate scan of liver, kidneys pancreas etc)... all the while off my MTX. I could not get through the secretary to get him until I kicked up such a fuss to chase up MRCP results... now at the end to middle of July (I had ultrasounds, colonoscopy etc in meanwhile)...,, phoned rheumy secretary end of July after receiving a letter saying he had asked his secretary to add me on to one of his surgeries to find out he is on holiday until end August... the other rheumy has retired and not been replaced so just him... so I put myself back on MTX because I couldn't bear the pain anymore ..,, my MRCP has come back just showing enlarged liver ducts and lesions and I still have no answers. My doctor has said he's happy to put me back on MTX (although the first doctor said I should wait for advice from my rheumy.... and if I was going against advice and damaging my liver more that's my fault!!) I now have an appointment end of September with rheumy. 

It's really not good enough. I'm in a catch 22 situation.... I have no other rheumy at my hospital to tell me what's going on. My rheumy (when I can get through to him is fantastic.,, but to wait for  18 weeks just to find out whether the MTX is causing the damage is unacceptable). My doctor may have said he's happy for me to go back in it..... but it was me contacting my rheumy in the first place saying that didn't feel right to me that got a definite.... don't take it until all test results have been collated. 

I'm at my wits end... the doctor doesn't understand why my ducts are enlarged and can only think it's the MTX so here I am taking it because I've been given no alternative. 

I am shocked that this medication doesn't have enough support.... and I've not even been offered a biopsy.,,.. 

I still have abdominal swelling and fever! I don't know if the MTX is killing or helping me. 

As for you losing weight.., and him not listening...... just saying you need to lose more...... that is unprofessional and as per the patients charter he has not treated you with dignity and respect.

I guess the saving grace is they are doing the biopsy which will be the best indicator if anything is going on but my heart goes out to you ... I have no follow up on my MRCP results and it was shrugged off by my doctor as something my rheumy needs to look at. 

I wish you the best of luck and have found that especially with this medication you have to fight for every little damn thing.... keep fighting... ask questions and bother him until you get answers.... 

lisa

??🌻😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.