Liver damage... What vitamins and food supplements should I take to improve repair my liver ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 32 year old male ...Ok so a drank 6-8 pints of beers 5% every single night after work for over a decade (12 years )

I'm sober now but I'm determined to turn my life around as it started to affect the family life.(sorry if you've already read this in previous post) I've seen a doctor and told her all about my drinking she gave me the once over and said my liver felt normal and not enlarged. I had no other symptoms other than I pain that came and went in my side after a heavy drinking session and a couple of times before I gave up I would sometimes wake with a red puffy face that would go by lunch time if I had a few to many. (alarm bells stop drinking) I had I liver function tests and they came back as normal.

I'm sure I must have damaged my liver! Every single day with no breaks 10-16units more on Fridays how could I not have? I read that the Liver function test don't always show what's going on ... What do you think ? How bad is it likely to be damaged with those results ?ive never been hospitalized through drinking or had blackouts.i have never had a drink in the morning or in the day. when quitting I never had any withdraw symptoms except night sweats. 2-3 days.I did wright on an earlier post about pins and needles in my hands thinking this was a withdrawal symptom but after talking to a friend he told me it's down to a well known ingredient in the protein shake I was taking (beta alanine) and that many people get pins and needles from taking the supplement. when I quit alchole I took up running the same day and started drinking it.

what should I take to try and repair my liver? I'm currently eating lots of veg,fruit, lots of antioxidants ,drinking 3 cups of green tea instead of coffe I've cut out fatty fried food and started running.

What is the best thing to take to repair the liver? I'm currently taking.

.Turmeric and artichoke food supplement pill

.Milk Thistle pill

.A multi vitamin pill

.cod liver oil pill

. Omega 3 pill

. Herbal garlic pill

Do you think I'm over taking? As I don't want to damage my liver even more than I'm sure it is. Can anybody advise a good blend of vitamins and food supplements to take with a balanced diet to improve liver function and help repair the liver ? What do you take ?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kevin. You may not have damaged your liver, especially as the tests etc were normal. I didn't have any alcohol until I was 21, due to a strict religious upbringing. But I drank really heavily for many years and avoided any damage. I stopped a while ago and hopefully will stay that way. Interesting that someone posted that a liver will repair itself, I didn't know that! Stay sober! 

• Posted

Hi John thanks for the reply. It's good to here that your liver is fine after many years of drinking it give me some hope mine may not be to damaged. Can I ask how long you drank for and what quantities ? Yea it proven that a liver is the only organ that can repair itself if you don't get chirrosis. I've been told you can even cut part

• Posted

Part two) parts of the liver off and it will grow back and regenerate. I've read that milk thistle supplement will give your liver a boast and encourage new cell growth. I was just wondering if there was any thing else to take

• Posted

Hello again Kevin. I'm ashamed to write that my drinking was mostly spirits, mainly Whisky. There were times when I had a supply on hand when gardening etc. I even drank it with some meals instead of wine. The worst intake was just over half a litre during an afternoon. I often went to sleep about 7.30 pm. The room was spinning sometimes and I was vomiting at night and in the morning. Enough information! Just to let you know. I haven't touched a drop of anything for 10 years next month. I have been tempted recently, but people on this forum have helped me in other posts. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Well done I'm no were near the ten year mark. I hope to one day be were you are. Well done! After ten years it would be stupid to start again now and undo all that hard work. that must of taken some real will power. I to have been to bed many times with the room spinning and waking up being sick all day I've lost count of the amounts of times I took days off work or went feeling sick and struggling all day. Thanks again for the reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.