Liver function blood test

Posted , 2 users are following.

Morning all,

I have been going through my medical notes and on a letter to one of my consltants my GP states "weak positive anti-LC on a liver line block". She told me everything (blood work was done for many different things) was normal but I have been worried about autoimmune Hep as I have all of the symptoms except jaundice.

My symptoms have been diagnosed as Ehler-Danlos Syndrome after an original dx of fibromyalgia, but does anybody know what her comment of this blood test means please?

I do not want to ask GP as it has taken a long time to get my current dx (apparantly normal with this condition) but not knowing is driving me nuts

Thanks everyone. Happy Monday

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Type 2 autoimmune hepatitis patients have LC 1 antibodies but not sure a positive diagnosis would be based just on this.  Have you had a biopsy of the liver tissue?
    • Posted

I've not had anything done in regards to the liver. GP didn't mention anything in regards to this (and other blood tests) apart from 'all normal' 

Just wondered if this was something to worry about

Thanks

• Posted

Do you have a date for the note made by the GP about this test result? Someone must have ordered this particular blood test, it's not randomly done without a request. Perhaps this was pre your current diagnosis and your doctors were testing for everything they could think of that matched your symptoms.

It may be that now you have a definite diagnosis the 'weak positive" result of this test has been discarded as not relevant.

• Posted

That sounds about right Bolly. The blood test was requested for lots of different things (The nurse even said I won the award for amount of tests requested lol) - The only thing my GP seemed concerned about was my low vit d level. I just wondered if the liver one was one I needed to be concerned about (I suppose I was worried because I've had a problem with alcohol in the past and know that liver probs & hep can stem from that) 

I suppose the best thing to do is take comfort in the fact that as she didn't mention it, I shouldn't worry.

Thanks again Bolly

• Posted

From what I've read (and Ive not heard of this Syndrome before), Ehler Danlos is a genetically inherited syndrome.  Is that right?  Are you happy they have the diagnosis right?  

Inherited genes are something you have no control over, so your best course of action in my view is to learn all you can about this syndrome and how to live your life as well as you can with it.  Also might be worth checking with other family members along the same gene line.

Autoimmune conditions such as AIH do fall into the category of genetic diseases, in that the docs really dont know how people 'get' AIH, just that they may well be genetically susceptible to a whole raft of autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, crohns, autoimmune hepatitis etc etc.  When people present to their doctors with vague symptoms including fibromyalgia, fatigue, general malaise, there are sooo many conditions that have these as symptoms (think ME and Multiple Sclerosis too) the docs have to test for every possibility.  So im guessing that something you said at one point (maybe at that time alcohol was making you feel unwell which would indicate a possible liver issue) made the doc decide to run a liver panel and test for various liver diseases.  The doc probably tested for viral hepatitis along with the autoimmune.  What came back was a teeny tiny possibility that you might have Type 2 autoimmune hepatitis, but this is only confirmed if about 4 or 5 other tests come back positive too.  If all the doc had was a 'weak positive' for one AIH test, and probably negatives for all the rest, that diagnosis would have been discounted.

Low Vit D3 levels are very common among the general population as you get Vit D3 from being out in the sun and in the UK (a) we have very little sun and (b) people spend 90% of their time indoors ... so we have all become deficient in Vit D3.  That can be rectified by taking a daily Vit D3 supplement.

Alcohol does not cause autoimmune hepatitis.  In large quantities or with long term consumption it causes Alcoholic Liver Disease or ALD.  Dont drink, alcohol has absolutely no health benefits for your body at all (apart from one variety of red wine they think has anti-oxidants but then tea has anti-oxidants too).  Alcohol makes you 'feel' good but its a toxin for your liver to deal with and is full of sugar too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.