liver function test?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all rang up about my blood results im overactive they said the thyroid levels are getting better but need to be seen over my liver function test? Should I be concerned anyone else ever been called over this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Every time I have blood work, my endo orders liver function tests and hematologic tests in addition to my thyroid blood tests. That's because the drugs used to treat hyperthyroidism are known to affect the liver and blood hematology, especially at a high dose so these values need to be followed and adjustments made to meds if they are abnormal. So far mine have never been abnormal but I had a very mild case of Graves when I was first diagnosed.
  • Posted

Be thankful your doctor is running these tests.

The liver is the spokesperson for the body.

• Posted

Thanks everyone im trying to work it out but is abit confusing all my liver function test looks normal apart from my serum alkaline phosphatase this come back as 158 u/l what is above the normal range.
    • Posted

FWIW, I have perfectly normal LFT excluding the Alk Phos at one time a couple years ago. The highest my Alk Phos was about low 150's [high end of normal is about 125-130].  Turns out it was due to my gallbladder, which I had removed. Easiest surgery in the world. Things went back to normal right after the surgery.

Other causes of elevated Alk Phos:

OBSTRUCTIVE HEPATOBILIARY DISEASE

HEPATOTOXIC DRUGS

BONE DISEASE (PHYSIOLOGIC BONE GROWTH, PAGET'S DISEASE, OSTEOMALACIA, OSTEOGENIC SARCOMA, BONE METASTASES)

HYPERPARATHYROIDISM

RICKETS

BENIGN FAMILIAL HYPERPHOSPHATASEMIA

PREGNANCY (3RD TRIMESTER)

GI DISEASE (PERFORATED ULCER OR INFARCT)

There are lots of causes for an elevated Alk Phos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.