Liver Function Test

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

i have recently had some blood tests done as my heart palpitations got bad so my doctor wanted to rule it out it was definitely anxiety.

I had a full blood count and HBA1C (hemoglobin) which both come back normal, i also had a liver function blood test which my doctor wants to repeat in 2 months time. 

The liver function blood test was to rule out if i have celiac disease (i suffer with IBS also).

Now the problem i have now is because the liver function blood test needs to be repeated and now i feel like theirs going to be something bad wrong, which makes me anxiety go crazy.

Do you think its just routine for it to be repeated? And should i be worried if my doctor wants to repeat in 2 months, surely if it was something bad it would have been repeated sooner? ... Right? 

just some reassurance would be great right now, its so gutting because my anxiety has been fine for around 2/3 weeks now!

Thank you 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think you are going to be fine...even if you do have celiac disease.  Celiac disease isn't the end of the world, it just means some diet and lifestyle changes, heck it may even be the answer to your prayers. It might be the answer you've been looking for as to why you have certain symptoms, like the IBS. The fact that he didn't want to repeat it immediately should give you some sort of reassurance that it isn't anything horribly wrong. I just went through the same thing with my daughter who is 14. Her liver enzymes were "elevated", I of course was freaking out because I have health anxiety of my own. Turns out it was a medication issue and according to her doctor NOTHING to worry about, her numbers were like 5 or 6 above the normal range, she said if something was really wrong they would be hundreds above. SOOO...try to do whatever you can to distract your thoughts from this test and the what ifs. The what ifs are what drives anxiety. I would suggest you discuss your anxiety with your doctor and see what he/she suggests for it. Also you can try looking up meditiation and breathing exercises, distraction techniques, things like adult coloring, aromatherapy, exercise and yoga. So many things you can try on your own to ease your anxiety symptoms that might work but won't hurt if they don't. Good Luck!!!

• Posted

Hello Rachel, 

Thank you so much for your reply. 

But you are right I should stop worrying about the what ifs and I suppose worrying about it isn’t going to change anything either. 

I am currently on the waiting list for therapy, it’s a 12 week wait and I had my consultation at the end of October so should be coming up to my turn soon. 

My health anxiety stems back to when I was a little girl watching my dad suffer with bowl cancer and my nan suffer and unfortunately pass away due to a brain tumour, I always worry that I’m going to get terminally  Ill and I’m sure that’s something my therapy will help with. 

Again thank you for your comment, I love colouring so I will be looking up the adult colouring. 

I hope your okay and your anxiety isn’t too bad

Lauren x 

• Posted

Hello there a had health aniexty for 5 years it all your physical texts come back normal it all in the mind and it difficult to control the mind it a tough thing and it called health aniexty you have that my opinion as am expierced 
  • Posted

Hi Lauren, I once had a liver function test prior to having surgery. The results indicted something was wrong, twice. I'm 61 years old and have 90% liver function, which for my age is okay. One of my kidneys only functions at 10% the other kidney is picking up the slack for the damaged one. I take no medication for it and live a normal life. The doctor could only speculate what caused this to happen. It was either because my blood pressure went up to 240/160, once or it may have been caused by a dye that was injected into my body for a medical test. Worrying will do you no good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.