Liver Function Test Normal-Ferritin Elevated at 950

Posted , 5 users are following.

Let's start by saying I'm 33 and have been known to over indulge a few times a month probably since I was 17. I started tapering off the amount and frequency a few years ago as I had some health issues with my thyroid and wanted to get healthy for my wife and kids. 7 months ago I went to the Doc and had slightly elevated liver enzymes so the Doc sent me for an Ultrasound, turns put the diagnoses was fatty diffuse liver. I have since quit drinking completely and my last visit at the docs was two weeks ago. All liver function normal and In range but they decided to run a feritin test that came back extremely elevated at 950. Any thoughts? A bit freaked out as everything I'm reading says a bigger liver issue than I thought.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It will be connected to the liver function. In your case, too much ferritin is being produced. It could, as in my case, be due to too much alcohol and it took a long while (six months) of not drinking before it settled down. It also can be a sign of haemochromatosis, a condition  that causes too much ferritin.

It is very important to find out the cause and treat it. otherwise the ferritin just builds up in the system and starts damaging the internal organs.

• Posted

It sounds like haemochromatosis. Check it out on the forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.