liver pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been battling fatty liver disease for a number of years, 

recent blood tests show reduce liver enzymes have come down, and I have managed to lose weight, positive signs

but, I keep getting this right flank pain, is like a dull ache, and then at times, I get a sharp acute shooting pain which can run through to stomach

after MRI scan on liver, results show I have small, multiple cysts, but consultant said this could be hereditary 

endoscopy inspection down throat showed slight stomach irritation, but nothing else

the pain has got worse, more frequent, is almost there all the time now, 

I was in emergency room at hospital on Monday, nearly passed out at work, sweaty , blood was drained from face (as described by colleagues), tight chest, increased pulse, 

ECG and blood pressure tests were ok at the time the paramedic took them, some 45 minutes after my first symptoms, first aider had settled me down fair bit by the time he arrived, 

bloods at hospital showed a viral infection, ( I do not have hepatitis), 

blood sugar was ok, 

I have been feeling worse recently, more light headiness, pains in chest  

I have also developed GERD, which may explain the chest pains too, they are brief, but shooting from middle of chest to left hand side,

think some of this could be vagus nerve stimulation (relating to the GERD), I had large polyp taken out of colon last December, and ever since I have been not feeling that well,

this right flank pain is becoming more debilitating, and obstructive to my daily life, 

I feel at loss with the doctors now, not sure where to go, when they do bloods all seems in normal range at that time (apart from liver enzymes), 

is this just an unhappy liver + GERD, or something else going on ?

can anyone please shed some light, have you had similar symptoms 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Maybe gallbladder related? Some of your symptoms suggest it may be. Ask for an ultrasound scan to see if you have gallstones. Sometimes a stone lodges in the common bile duct and can cause pain in the liver as well as gallbladder. They can also block the pancreas but that causes left sided pain.
    • Posted

thanks for reply, I agree, I think it is the gallbladder, I will contact doctor again, get a Hida scan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.