Liver Pains?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been having right side pains for a year and a bit now. I have had two ultrasounds a year apart which both showed slight fatty liver. My blood tests have been perfect. Also apparently feeling pain from a fatty liver is rare. I noticed the pain started again after I gained some weight. I'm trying to avoid gluten which is so hard and I've been trying to eat better and lose some weight. I'm just grumpy I guess. I also suffer from chronic headaches and they said possibly Fibro. I am now being tested for Arthritis as I have pain in all of my joints. Between the joint pain, chronic headaches, and this abdominal pain, it really sucks. 

Any tips to ease the pain? 

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Since the liver doessn't have nerve endings, it can't convey pain.

What did the consulant give you as the reason for your fatty liver.

• Posted

I was told and there is many people saying the same thing that when you have a fatty liver correct the liver does not have nerve endings but the liver is enlarged and touches nerves around it if you lose weight and bit if exercise the liver will decrease and the pain will go I had the pain over a year and was told lose weight etc I thought yer yer it'll never go but I've lost some weight and the pain some days now is hardly there its getting a lot better.
    • Posted

I won't argue with that. But the OP appears female and I've learnt over the years not to discuss weight with them. You're brave, you ask.
    • Posted

I'm not brave if a doctor or nurse believes you should lose weight etc they'll tell you to just as with they'll say you shouldn't smoke etc I never asked they told me I went once to hospital once cause the pain hurt so much and the hospital to said your fatty liver is enlarged and it's touching other nerves and basically said the same as my doctor to lose weight cut down on cards and fatty foods etc and they was right it's been hard but it's working
    • Posted

I mentioned that I gained weight and my doctor suggested I lose weight. When I lost weight, the pain seemed to go away, now that I've gaiend weight due to other pains, the pain in my right side has come back. 
    • Posted

I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. I don't eat much fast food and I eat a lot of veggies and fruits. But I haven't been as active because of my constant joint pains which makes me sit at home and gain weight. I am moving to a different country in hopes of finding work and to be with my boyfriend and there is a lot of sight seeing so it might help me lose weight with all of the walking I'll be doing. I did just have a stomach bug and when it really hit me at it's peak, I turned a yellowish green, it was scary. But I'm fine now (that was yesterday). It happened as well when I had the stomach flu a few months back. 
    • Posted

I had my liver checked not even a month ago. It lasted not even an hour. I went pale, weak, yellow/green in the skin, shaky, etc. like in the cartoons when it shows someone who is sick. Then after that I was fine. I was fighting a nasty stomach bug yesterday. The same thing happened when I had the stomach flu but I'm fine now.
    • Posted

Not a jaundice yellow. My brother in law has liver problems and when he turns yellow it's notiable
    • Posted

Were you yellow at the time of your test. How long do you go yellow for?
  • Posted

Your symptoms mimic mine completely. I drastically lost weight however and was diagnosed 4yrs later after seeing several gastro Drs and going through hundreds of tests. I have Fibro and I almost died from liver failure. They tested me for everything else. I was a drinker! I went through massive depression and self medicated for 3 yrs. It wasn't until I turned bright yellow did they finally do a liver biopsy and withdrew 2 liters of fluid and tissue. I had a combination of diseases. My screens came back clear a hundred times. You have to keep seeking out until you find a dr that will solve your problem. My treatment was a combo of prednisone and this green sludge I called Shrek juice. They administered introvenuously. I was in ICU for a month. I had a seizure which I believe had caused my headaches Fibro and pains and edema. Exercise is key! I am prescribed hydrocodine one hour before exercise and flexeril to help with muscle spasms. I don't take these daily. Bc I'm scared for my liver. I've been experiencing pain where my biopsy site was. I saw people say your liver doesn't feel pain and it doesn't. But the membrane that surrounds your liver does have nerves that hurt when your liver expands and stretches it out. So your pain is real. I'm going in to get my enzymes checked next week bc of my recent pain. Tylenol (hydrocodine) is deadly to people with liver disorder. So I'm dropping it. The exercise will in time cure your muscle pains. Your rheumatologist can give you a pamphlet with exercises. One involves a towel and it cured my shoulder!!!! I hope this helps. Sorry it's lengthy!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.