Liver pains after a weekend bender - when should I see a doctor?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been drinking for roughly 10 years. Became an alcoholic about halfway in. I would say my alcohol dependency is pretty strong as I need a few drinks every day.

Last weekend I went on a bender and my liver has been sore since. I've not felt this dull pain under my rib cage for a long time; the last time was in 2017. It went away after a couple of days back then.

Due to this, I've stopped drinking for two days now. At what point do I take myself to see the doctor?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Perhaps call the GP and get a phone appointment today. Strongly reccomended

• Edited

Agree with Robin.

You can't be too careful so get yourself checked out as soon as you can. If it is nothing, then no harm done. It if turns out that there is a little damage, then the liver is incredibly resiliant and can repair itself well.

Depending on the tests results, then following your doctors medical advice could be something that you will not regret doing in later years.

• Edited

I agree with Robin and Joanna.

It is better to visit your doctor ASAP. Things like these should not be left untreated.

• Edited

3 of replied. What happened? What did you decide?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.