Liver problem?

Posted , 3 users are following.


I am an 18 year old male, healthy, normal weight, i run 10km every day. About a month ago I went to the doctor, because of my abdominal pain, mostly below right rib. My blood tests came back normal, with the exception of slightly increased ALT (increased for about 0.03). The doctor said it's nothing serious (they took my blood about 4 days after the new years eve, so doctor said it's due to binge drinking), but sent me to ultrasound (otherwise, I do not drink much, just occasionally with friends). The results from ultrasound were totally normal. They said my liver is in great condition. Also, my skin started to itch, but they said it's probably an allergy.

Could something be wrong with my liver (like cirrhosis or something like that), but not seen on ultrasound? I am really concerned. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    If your ALT is only very slightly increased and the ultrasound is normal I am quite sure your liver is OK. However, if you are still having pain on the right hand side below the right rib it still needs checking out as itcould be to do with the pancreas or right kidney,  as it was with me when I had right side upper abdominal pain many years ago.  Last year I had an ultrasound for suspected colon problems which showed that I had no colon problems but a very swollen liver which had to be operated on very quickly despite having no symptoms at all - no pain no bad blood tests, etc. If you had cirrhosis or anything similar it would definitely show on an ultrasound and almost certainly on blood tests. Having right upper quadrant pain is not necessarily a sign of liver disease
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Yes, ALT is very slightly increased. I just panicked I guess. 

      Yes I am still having pain (but much less in the last week), but the problem is, that all my internal organs are in great condition, at least thats what they said on ultrasound. And pain is actually "moving", mostly, it's under right rib, but it "moves" to the part where kidneys are (but normal on US), and sometimes it hurts the same way like when you run for too long and it hurts in the diaphragm. And the problem is because no one seems to know where the problem is.

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up