Liver problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

After abnormal LFTs I had an ultrsound last year in June and told had perfectly healthy normal looking liver then fibroscan scored 6.98k in september ..apparently below 7 is okay but mindful the average is around 5ish and this is borderline. Had elevated cholesterol triglycerides alt ast ggt and once alp in about 4 blood tests since may last year.

I have dropped from over 18 stone to just under 15 stone. Given up booze, exercise daily and on a slow steady diet aiming for 13st. Taking omega 3, milk thistle, vitamin c, vitamin e and probiotics. At my last blood test in November my cholesterol had dropped from mid 6s and 7s to normal range in the 4s and triglycerides back from 3 to4 time normal into normal. All liver function tests normal except alt which is between 100 and 150.

My question is that over the last couple of months I have been getting pain in my upper right front ribs radiating to mid back and occasional mildly itchy arms (took up daily swimming and suspect a link to this and chlorine so stopped for a while). I have had pain in my mid and upper back for years following car crash but the radiating to front upper right tummy lower ribs area seems new and been ongoing for few months. Worried this is my liver and wondering what experience people have of this. Based on ultrasound and fibroscan my condition is not that advanced and keep reading such pain is only apparent with more advanced liver issues. Can't see what else I can do for my liver..on a liver friendly slow steady healthy diet free of alcohol.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Fatty liver is epidemic now days, especially in those who are moderately overweight.  Rapid weight loss can also stress the liver a bit.  It looks like you're doing all the right things and labs are coming around, so hopefully you'll see your symptoms subside soon.  

I'd hang tough for a couple of months and see if things improve.  Given your progress thus far, I expect they will. 

• Posted

They told you that you had a "perfectly healthy normal looking liver" ? They didn't say fatty liver? If you had a perfectly healthy normal look liver I would say that your ALT should not be raised at all and I would inquire further, but if you were diagnosed with Fatty Liver at the time of the ultrasound then everything you state about AST/ALT/GGT, Triglycerides and cholesterol is completely normal.  Get a glucose meter, I can't stress the importance of this machine enough to anyone with liver related concerns. If you're glucose intolerant then you probably have some funny things still happening with the liver. Also, pain, I have never had liver pain and have scarring. Could be something not liver related. Liver doesn't have nerve endings.

• Posted

I Googled glucose meter and got loads of stuff about how it’s good for people with diabetes.Are there any benefits to someone without diabetes who wants to keep an eye on their liver and what would it show?
    • Posted

The reason I use a glucose meter is because "most" people who have liver related issues, will show glucose intolerance like diabetics. Its a good way to see how your liver is functioning, at home. 

• Posted

Hepatologist said they have tested for everything so by process of elimination combined with my being over 18 stone and 5 ft 9 its fatty liver..now 14st 12 so hopefully it will subside in time. Back in march for bloods and if still elevated I am told I will be having a biopsy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.