Liver resection

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am having a liver resection next week. Open surgery to remove a large cyst on my liver. Gallbladder out also. Any advice. Very nervous!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a liver resection last September due to lots of stones caused by Caroli's disease.  Do you know how much of your liver is going to be removed? Half of mine was removed. I was in HDU for 1 day, and then Liver Ward for 6 days. I then went home and by Christmas I was feeling almost normal. In my case it was a bit more complicated than for most as I am a wheelchair user and also insulin treated diabetic (Type 2). The lady in the next bed to me also had a liver resection because of cysts and was only in 4 days.

The worst thing I found was all the drains, drips and tubes that are in you when you first get back to the ward. Depending on your pain threshold that was not too bad and the staff do make a huge effort to make sure it is well controlled - in my case patient controlled analgesia via a drip and I could control how much I had. Two really important things - make sure when you can start walking that you go for short walk at least once an hour, and if you are given breathing exercises do them regularly. Before you can start walking also do foot exercises which they should also show you.

If you have any specific questions please do get in touch. I will try to answer them based on my own experience.

• Posted

Thanks ! Feeling nervous !was your resection open surgery . Mine is because of the plac of the cysts
    • Posted

Originally it was going to be keyhole but in the end it had to be open because there were far more stones than expected. It does take quite a while to recover but one of the Hingis I found helped was not to do too much ch too soon
    • Posted

sorry things not Hingis!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.