Liver resection

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks New to forum but see there has been previous discussions on liver resection but not for a while. I'm due for laparoscopic resection of my left lobe of liver shortly and am naturally nervous. They propose to remove the whole of my left liver lobe as the benign cyst is large and awkward to remove and then there will be no risk of the cyst returning. I'm assured i wont miss that bit of liver! It will be a big relief to get this op over with as im fedup of feeling bloated and pregnant despite loosing a stone in weight. Im hoping i will be up to speed after a couple of weeks and regain my appetite and feel more comfortable. My anaesthatist is proposing epidural pain relief but im not sure about that as i think my pain threshold is quite high really. Does anyone have any advice on that and how they managed pain relief after the op, plus how long for? Any advice and encouragement would be appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a resection about 16 years ago. i wasn't told about the epidural in my pre-op meeting, so when they showed on the morning of surgery to place it, i freaked out ( never had one when i delivered my boys either) because i have a great fear of it doing something bad to my spinal cord. i know its quite irrational, more the less i didn't have one. I have had regret over this decision several times. because i did not have the epidural they had to continue w pain meds. well pain meds are typically processed through the liver - and they had just removed 3/4 of my liver. I ended up being quite over medicated and unable to get up and walk.right away or even coherent to know what was happening.I think i would have considered the epidural if i had it to do over again

• Posted

thank you Kendra. I will bear that in mind when i have to make the decision 16yr is a long time ago so your resection was obviously very successful. BW

• Posted

The resection was a success to remove a very large hemangioma. Two years again i was DX w Budd Chiari. It's a long road. I've learned a lot about the liver! 😉. Praying your resection is successful and you recover well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.