Liver shrinkage diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

i received telephone call yesterday with a date for my banding its next week!! The information I have says I must follow the liver shrinkage diet 3 weeks before surgery there's obviously not enough time how essential is this? Plus I'm told I'll be out in the same day is this usual too?? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i would say to just do the pre op diet for however many days you can before your surgery and hope for the best - alterntiely give them a ring and ask how imperative it is that you do the diet for 3 wks cos you are not gonna be able to fit it in beforehand - i only had to do mine for ten days - though many have to do it for 2 wks - i was in hosp over night and discharged the next morning less than 24 hrs after my op but that was 7 hrs ago and things might have moved on since then - i suppose for peace of mind i was happier staying in hosp over night but nothing happened in that time other than i needed help to get out of bed and the hosp give me pain killers which i could have taken myself - good luck and hope all goes well for  you
    • Posted

Thanks for that I'll ring tomorrow and ask their advice. Thank you for your good wishes
  • Posted

I followed the liquid only for 3 weeks. I had my band fitted a year ago today and as my Op was in the evening, I went home the next day. The diet is just so the liver is soft so the surgeon can lift it slightly to get the instruments past the liver, so they like it to be soft.
    • Posted

Again thank you for that didn't want my op cancelled after waiting so long because I didn't have the required 3 weeks shrinkage diet. Have started anyway so will hope for the best
  • Posted

Banding 3 days away! Emotions ranging from abject fear to excitement!! Any tips pre surgery? Any tips post surgery? My dietician has told me to go straight to soft purée food following surgery not liquids??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.