Liver test

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on simvastatin 20mg for the past 4 years and liver test have been great! In fact quite low. I recently was switched to 40mg. Will this raise the liver tests knowing they have been very good previously?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It may do so please ensure you have regular liver tests.

Can I just ask why your doctors raised you from 20g to 40g?

• Posted

Hello. The cholesterol is below 200 which is good. He wants to get the LDL down which I understand. What's odd is my LDL is far lower than others I talk to and they are not on any station drug.

November 2013 LDL was 106 in a range between 0-129. However the VLDL Cholesterol was 53 in a range of 0-30. So maybe that's the reason. Its the VLDL?

• Posted

Hi anything below 200 is viewed as desirable so really can't understand why you've been put on statins and more baffling is why your medication has been increased.

VLDL is probably the answer as it's recommended to be no higher than 40.

I still cannot understand why statins...... When VlDL is so easily managed with diet, it's just a protein that moves Triglceride through blood stream and but cutting back on sugar and eating low carbs it's lowered along with the Triglceride.

To many doctors prescribe statins when they're not needed, call me cynical but it's the pharmaceutical reps pressurising doctors to seek their products.

Any side effects with your simvastatin?

• Posted

No side effects when I was on the 20mg or 40mg. Liver test as I said earlier have been great and with some research I did on the internet after my post I found going from 20 to 40mg did not spike the AST or ALT. I gathered that from a clinical cardiology 23,682-688.

Bottom line and this is me speaking. I was SO tempted to tell my Dr to either keep me on the 20mg or I am taking myself off all completely.

I work in the technology field so data is my thing. The numbers dont lie. My test results BEFORE being placed on a statin were better than now.

Thanks again!!

• Posted

As a FYI here were the numbers from Nov 2013.

Cholesterol 190 (0-200)

Triglycerides 265 (0-150)

Hdl 42 (40-110)

Ldl 106 (0-129)

Vldl 53 (0-30)

alt 40 (0-70)

Ast 28 (0-45)

• Posted

I can honestly say i am shocked that you've been prescribed statins.

Is there any heart disease in your family?

• Posted

Yes dad had heart problems. I just emailed my Dr asking if they can take me back to 20mg. Besides talking with you and A LOT of research I just don't see why I am on 40mg.

Thanks again for jumping in. Always good to get outside advice who don't get kickbacks :-)

• Posted

You're welcome and you made a very good point re ' kickbacks'

Let me know how you get on

Sonya

• Posted

Will do Sonya. Terry
  • Posted

Just an update, talked to my Dr Friday and basically told him I felt umcomfortable taking the 40mg statin and in reviewing the numbers I would prefer to be back on the 20mg. Oddly enough he said, I can go along wth that". Wow!

Thanks again and take care.

• Posted

Great news, just please keep an eye on any side effects, I know you're not suffering any at the moment and I hope that continues but please keep alert.

Take care

Sonya

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.