liver test results and swollen lymph nodes

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi can you help please. I haven't been diagnosed with Sjogrens yet but have had an ultrasound on my neck and lymph nodes and they found my salivary glands were meshed like and scarred and the sonographer mentioned Sjogrens. I had another appointment with consultant who gave me a blood test form and did suggest Sjogrens. My lymph nodes have been swollen for as long as I remember all over my body, my eyes and mouth are really dry (worst since I gave birth almost 2 years ago) they are quite photosensitive and often burn and stream. My blood tests over the last year and a bit have revealed increasing liver function results and I wondered whether anyone else experienced the same? The serum globulin is 50 and IgG is about 26 which is obviously way above reference line. The serum globulin has been steadily increasing, about a year ago it was 44, then 49 and now just after its now 50. Will it just keep rising? I missed my consultant appointment so am having to wait until the next one but am just a bit confused and freaked out and my doctor didn't request to talk about my liver results either so feel one my own in this one sad My white blood count was low about 3 something but thankfully has come up to 4.6 which puts it back into the right range. I haven't been feeling well for a long time now but think I was anemic but am just so exhausted all the time. The sonographer said my lymph nodes looked nice and smooth so not cause for concern but am obviously still concerned. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me any advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicki1234!

Can you clarify something for me please? At the beginning of your message you say the sonographer said your lymph nodes looked meshed and queried Sjögrens and in your last paragraph you said the sonographer said your lymph nodes looked smooth. Were they two different times or different parts of the body?

A raised IgG can mean that the immune sytem is overactive which does occur in autoimmune cnditions, such as Sjögrens. However it can mean other things and until all the tests are in, it's an unknown. 

Are you able to say which tests the doctor asked for on the pathology request slip?

Unfortunately blood tests for Sjögrens often come back negative and it may remain that way for several years.

Certainly something is going on with you and you need to get to the bottom of it. We'll be interested to know any developments even if they are not Sjögrens related.

• Posted

Vicki, one of the hallmarks of an autoimmune syndrome is a seemingly crazy hotch-potch of symptoms, and each patient has a different batch of symptoms in varying levels of severity. This makes things quite blurry for both patient and physician. You certainly have some of the symptoms of SS. If you have an autoimmune condition which is "active" or in a flare-up, all your bloodwork will show abnormalities - this may not be anything concerning but the natural consequence of having an inflammatory disease. When things settle the bloodwork will return to normal or at least a non-worrying close to normal. best wishes.

• Posted

It was my salivary glands that are meshed and net like, not my lymph nodes. She checked my whole neck area and said they looked fine but there was scarring in my salivary glands etc which is why she suggested sjogrens as she said she saw it in previous patients. I've been back and forwards about swollen lymph nodes for years only to be fobbed off time and time again. Since they're swollen in my groin etc too the doctor suggested wide spread inflammation but wasn't sure of the cause. Autoimmune disorder seems likely given the fact Ii have dry eyes and mouth but am waiting for test results and if it shows anything at all. I did ask at the last consultant meeting and he said Sjogrens doesn't affect the liver? Which is more worrying as I had an U/S on my liver which showed it was slightly enlarged and obviously keep having abnormal liver function results...so if its Not Sjogrens what is it? I didn't realize so many people had different symptoms, what does everyone else get diagnosed on?

• Posted

3 years ago I went to emergency dept at local hospital ( no GPs where I am an expat) with fever and swollen lymph nodes (looked like mumps) . Was diagnosed with infection of lymph glands and antibiotics....3 weeks no change to lymph gland...had ultrasound, radiologist confirmed swollen lymph glands and told to return in 6 weeks for needle aspiration if not normal. In the meantime I also got Pityriasis roscea (no known cause or cure for it, mine went after 5 months and huge dollops of corticosteroid creams and predisolone ) and shortly afterwards got diagnosed with SS. Also diagnosed with Barretts oesophagus and GERD all diagnosed within 4 months. the gastroenterologist said everything probably related to SS.. Recent blood test shows a Strong positive for SS (antiRo and LA). Am taking hydrolochloroquine (sp.) and now suffer only from occasional electric buzzing in my feet and burning in soles and sever tendinitis in elbow and shoulders and burning tongue and lips (24/7) but swollen joints and excruciating muscle pains have gone. 

​I believe other posters like Tumtum and others have lots more problems than I do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.