Liver test results and ultrasound accuracy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 41 overweight ..eat healthy diet and regular excercise. Moderate drinker ..maybe 5 pints a week but never a big drinker.

Had two blood tests over two months. Ast 55 alt 133 ggt 77 then a second test alt 108 ast 50. Doc told me I would have fatty liver disease but sent for ultrasound and told I have a healthy liver which is a healthy size by technition.

Felt relieved until I saw liver specilaist who then said he also wants a fibroscan done but did not explain why. (Have now researched and it's to see scarring).

Aside from above LFTs bloods all okay except cholesterol 7.7 and triglycerides 5. I was surprised by this as although I am overweight I eat very healthy low cholesterol diet for last few years.

My question is how accurate is ultrasound for liver health and is cholesterol and triglycerides linked to liver health?

Have a 4 week wait for fibroscan and very worried.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have had high triglycerides my entire life and my Dr told me this contributes to fatty liver...

They can see a lot with ultrasound. I have been told you have to have a good amount of fat in your liver to see it on ultrasound. What I have learned is they can't always tell the difference between fatty liver and fibrosis. Fibro scan is deff a better test. It measures liver stiffness. It can see how much fat you have in your liver, they can tell if you progressed to fibrosis or cirrhosis.

Are you showing any physical signs of liver disease on your skin? I am 35 years old, haven't drank in 7 years and have been told I am showing signs of cirrhosis. I have had ct scan, 2 ultrasounds and an abdominal MRI with contrast. All the scans agreed I have an enlarged liver, one ultra sound showed a very fatty liver and one done a month later showed some fat. I am currently waiting on appt for fibroscan..

Since your liver enzymes are elevated you really should take precautions. Eat a healthy diet of fresh fruits, veggies and lean meat. Keep added sugars and simple carbs to a minimum. If possible you might also want to stop drinking. Patterns of elevated liver enzymes can mean some kind of liver damage. Perhaps all it would take to lower them would be giving up the drink. I have seen a lot of people on a different forum stop drinking and their levels go back into the normal range shortly after.

The heptaologist is the best person to see for this so your on the right path.

• Posted

Hi.

Sorry to hear you have liver problems at 35.

Not drunk in 7 years! I have never been a massive drinker but have always drunk but for last 10 years had t total Janurary .

I am not having any skin issues. Some light burning in upper abdomen but been on antibiotics for 7 weeks for prostatitis (not fun) so may well be down to those as it's a listed common symptom and started a week or two after I started taking them.

So the fact my liver is not showing as enlarged is hopefully a good sign.

I

• Posted

Your alcohol consumption is too low to affect the results. The cholesterol level is quite high.

Most of what the diet/health industry call healthy food over the last few years is anything but healthy. The only person I have heard talk sense is the acute dietician I saw at hospital. It is all low fat stuff, which is then full of sugar and carbs, which just piles on the fat unless we are very active and a sedentary job at a desk is not active. I always say, if a low fat diet is so good, then why do blokes who drink lots of beer get beer bellies, because there is no fat in beer (I know the answer).

I know that is not the question you asked, but maybe an adjustment of your diet is required. The bad thing is, if your cholesterol remains high, they will probably want to put you on statins.

• Posted

If it was me, I'd get down to a healthy weight and not drink alcohol at all. I know it's not that easy, but if your health is being affected, it's a no brainer.

• Posted

Working on the weight. Dieting and upped the excercise. Lost 2 stone so far this year and will lose another 2 stone
    • Posted

Well done! It will take time but you will reap the benefits. Alcohol is just empty calories. You don't need it and there are plenty non alcoholic beers and wines these days also soft drinks, so you don't have to stay home all the time.

• Posted

I have cirrhosis of the liver due to Genetic Hemochromatosis, iron overload . I was told I had slightly enlarged liver but in normal size allowance. I had fibroscan that showed liver health status, I have regular ultrasound checks as that looks at tumours etc , apparently it does not show cirrhosis as that does not show as a solid so not accurate enough for cirrhosis . My excess iron caused the scarring which will not repair itself unlike a fatty liver which you can help through diet. Change your diet and have your meds checked as maybe can effect resultsĀ 
    • Posted

An ultrasound can most definitely show cirrhosis. It is used extensively by the NHS for this purpose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.