Living in fear of getting the flu

Posted , 7 users are following.

Everywhere I turn, there's talk about this year's flu. How does someone with severe health anxiety keep from becoming paralyzed with fear? I've practically become home bound because I'm so terrified of catching it, having it turn into pneumonia and or sepsis, then death. All the horrible stories are everywhere!!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The flu is only deadly to those who are elderly, very young, or have preexisting conditions like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis etc.

I am a hypochondriac as well. But the flu is highly treatable with treatment. Especially if you catch it early.

I've been afraid to go to school because you know people are sick all the time. One of my friends just had the flu & bronchitis lol.

But bottom line is, the flu is treatable & you have to have certain preexisting factors that will make it worse or life-threatening. You can't keep living your life in fear. You're not really living life the way it's suppose to be lived. You're depriving yourself or freedom because if fear. Illness or not you have your life stress, worry, & fear free. Because after you do it, your problems will still be there.

I wish you the best & God bless ?

• Posted

Hi

Me to i freak in winter because of the flu risk , i live in Australia so we have summer now but the winter thats past was our worst flu season so many people died from the flu here .

Like you I try to avoid places but it's pretty hard to do that

Flu and cold gets into your system by you touching someone or something thats contaminated with the flu or cold virus and you then touch your mouth or eyes or nose .

If someone coughs or sneezes near me I cover my face , yes its pretty insulting to others but I care about myself.

Always wash your hands before touching anywhere on your face , i carry instant hand sanitizer on me Incase .

Eat more vitamen c rich foods so your immune system is in good condition.

They are my tips .

Yes I agree with the 1st reply it is mostly already sick people or babies and the elderly that can die from flu , but I get how that doesn't matter when you have health anxiety 😕😓😕😓

• Posted

Health anxiety is the worst because the more you worry the worse you feel, and the more you worry bc you talk yourself into feeling unwell etc. it’s a horrible viscous cycle I have yet to fully break myself out of. Believe it or not when I actually am Ill I find myself rather calm, for me it’s more the anticipation of catching it that is killer. I agree with the person above me who says they cover there faces or turn away if anyone sneezes near them, even if it’s insulting who cares. It’s not worth getting sick over so go ahead and be insulting as you please. 

As a hypochondriac i totally hate when people tell me Life will go on, it won’t be the end of the world. I hate when people say that because I feel like it will be the end of the world, even though I know it technically isn’t. 

As far as preventative measures go:  washing your hands and sanitizing often in public and washing your hands before touching your face even in your own home are easy preventative measures you can take without being excessive. Don’t listen to the media or flu reports, I’ve caught horrible bugs in years with mild flu seasons and been healthy through horrible flu seasons. Some other things to do often include drinking a lot of water and taking emergen c or other vitamin C supplements. I doubt they really do much but they are a sense of comfort for me. I steam my nasal passages every night (when I have time) to moisten my nasal passages and clear out mucus, which helps prevent bacteria from forming in your nose. It’s a great thing to try, as well as gargling with salt water which acts as an antiseptic for your throat. Swishing a teaspoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 10-15 minutes can also help to pull bacteria out of the mouth. (Spit it out obviously) again these are all simple remedies and while they probably won’t stop anything maybe they could be helpful in preventing stuff or at least help to put your mind at ease. God bless 

• Posted

Risk it. Bundle up, Go outside, and do something fun! Too much time indoors with your anxiety thoughts is just bad. Go to the gym, and distract yourself. Best medicine for a hypochondriac is distractions. Let go of the Internet, Dr. Google and LIVE! Take it from a fellow hypochondriac.
    • Posted

Lol I was about go give in to medicine, but you were my inspiration. If you can live without anxiety medication, I can too!
  • Posted

Thank you for putting this thought out there! I’ve had the same fears. Ironically, I caught mono and not the flu, but I feel that pain!
  • Posted

Scareddca

We all become concerned when a nasty virus attacks the population. I am a Pensioner and have had my jab, however that does not prevent me getting this strain that is lumbering around the population.

What you may be able to do is go to a chemist or the one in Tesco, they perform these injections, however you will need to pay for the jab. That is all I can suggest. Just because We have had the injection does not mean we will not get Flu. We need to accept that as part of life, yes it is a nasty thing to get although the chance of popping your clogs are still rare.

I was born in 1950 and we had some really horrible viruses there was no injections and we had to push ourselves through the problem. In the late 50s there was a bad one worse than this and it did bring in other health problems on top of the flu. You are just like many having to understand  it is around and just keep away from large areas where people are, even that will not mean you will not get the virus.

Good Luck, there are things in life we cannot do anything about. An injection is available, can yo afford it and do you feel you need is that great. Sometimes the injection can be as bad as the flu.

BOB

• Posted

I was also born in 1950, and although there have probably been plenty of "flu seasons", I don't recall hearing much about it until the past few years. Now it's all I hear! I did get the flu shot one week ago, (first time ever), and the injection site is still red and sore, but will, hopefully help at least somewhat.

• Posted

It was a real scorcher of a virus in the UK 1958 and there was a further outbreak mid 60s. I picked up the 58 virus as a kid and it worsened and was kept of school I understand, there was there were further outbreaks in the seventies and eighties that were bad. Recently we have had various flu types and we always loose some, mostly old to the flue and there is nothing we can do about it.

If you have had your injection fair enough, stop worrying at sixty seven we need to accept that or immune systems are not as good and we need to get on with life.

I have an immune system that does not work the way it should since the early 1930s we live with it.

Good Luck with the jab, a sore arm is very little to worry about if it prevents you from being laid up for an extended period.

BOB 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.