Living is suffering

Posted , 7 users are following.

My son died of a drug overdose 3/2/21 . i have no friends and i feel so alone. Everyday is suffering. I'm too afraid to kill myself, but i suffer daily and living is so hard i have no one to talk to and im hurting so bad why do i exist? everything seems pointless to me. I wish I had the guts to end my suffering..

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Hi 2sad2bhere,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

If you are based outside of the UK.

The Samaritans is a UK based charity, but they also have suggestions for how you can access help in other countries.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

Patient

• Edited

i’m so sorry you are going through this very difficult time. I’m sure it’s all so overwhelming for you. I can’t say that I have been through your specific situation, but I do know what deep depression feels like. it’s very difficult. However I do know that you can definitely begin to feel better because there is a lot of help for anyone in a situation like yours!

One thing I learned is that it’s not good to be alone during a time like this. Even if you don’t have friends right now, there are grief support groups in most churches and communities where you could join with other people who have been through the same thing and get some support for yourself. It really makes a difference to surround yourself with people who care and who want to help you!that’s one idea.

also, if you take a little walk every day it actually helps to lift the feeling of depression because it releases good hormones in the brain to fight depression. Any form of exercise is good.

no matter how you feel, get up in the morning, look in the mirror and tell yourself you’re going to be OK and you’re going to fight for your self! Brush your hair, put on a little make up and smile.

I started a gratitude journal. No matter what was going on in my life there are things that I am grateful for. Even if it’s just a roof over my head, a beautiful day, etc.

you might also think about getting some counseling for support and grief. I do virtual counseling which works great.

I would say the most important thing right now would be finding a support group. Do you have any family you could talk to? That might help. If not, it’s OK. There’s lots of resources out there. I also want to mention that when I was feeling down I started a ladies coffee meet up which turned out to be therapeutic for everybody! There was one lady who was completely depressed after her husband died and never left her house. She reluctantly decided to come to one coffee and she kept coming in eventually her whole life turned around for the better! she eventually remarried and is very happy. Of course you don’t have to start a coffee group, but I’m just trying to tell you how there is hope and you can definitely feel a lot better! it’s taking that one baby step that’s important.

please feel free to private message me anytime! I don’t know you but I do care! I’m not 100% better myself however I am feeling better. Day by day. ❤

• Edited

Thank you for the kind words and great ideas. I love the coffee group idea! Thank you for being so kind to someone you don't know, it is helpful. Some days are better than others.

• Edited

you are very welcome.yes, some days are better than others. Try to focus on the better ones. Yeah that coffee group even helped me because it gave me a sense of belonging to something and fellowship with other women. not sure where you live but where I live we have an app called nextdoor . people in my area post all kinds of things such as somebody might need a good plumber and is asking for suggestions, somebody might want the name of a good restaurant, etc. so I figured I would just take a chance and title my post Ladies Coffee Meetup. and I simply asked if any ladies in the area would like to get together for coffee. You wouldn’t believe how many ladies out there were interested and we’re so grateful that I started the group. they were really looking for a nice group of ladies to share coffee with and to chat. It’s actually good therapy! I just wanted to share that with you . have a blessed evening ❤

• Edited

put you first, take care of you 1 step at a time, you won't heal from his death, you will learn to adjust to permanently not having him around. it's horrendously tough, you have to think what he'd want you to do. day by day, that is all you can do. some will be good some will be bad. do it your way and no other, bless you and keep talking.

• Posted

You can make life have value by the choices you choose to make. Everything you need is out there for the taking, but do you want a good life. Friends are there, success is there. The point of life is purpose, spiritual purpose.

• Posted

Hello ; hope you are feeling better . And remember you are not alone. You matter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.