Living with a ano fistula

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, please be gental with me I'm new here . I have been suffering with perianal abscesses since 2011 I had my first emergency operation to drain it then I was in hospital for 4,weeks due to sepsis as the infection got into my blood stream.The abcess was 10cm deep and 2 cm wide inside I had to have daily packing and cleaning off duty nurses for just over 2 months until it closed from inside out . ever since then every 7 months I have had the same problem but not as servere they found a fistula which has branched off in all directions I've had some of my sphincher muscle removed I have fecal incontinence think that is due to my Seton I have that in as well to keep the fistula open to drain . well I have just visited the local hospital on Monday as another abcess has apperead yes 7 months later from my last one they sent me home with co amoxaclav its pain full i sleep I vomit it goes on anyway I need to know if I am physically fit for work I'm in new employment for last 2 years and now I'm on my 3rd sickness I'm looking at a disciplinary now would it be better for me to try and get a benefit to survive as clearly work are saying I'm not fit for it I'm a cleaner to so lots of lugging cleaning moving lifting . I really need some advice as I know this isn't going to go away . I've been tested for chrones I haven't got that they don't know why it has happened in the first place and it is really getting me down I'm very depressed with all this . has anyone ever been through what I am going through this situation if so please write back or give me your situations .

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I cannot tell you how glad that I’m not the only one with problems lasting so long. The only difference is I don’t have a fistula. I have now had 6 operations since 2013 and still my abscess and wound will not heal. I am constantly on co amoxaclav and continuously have a really bad odour coming from my wound. Because of this it genuinely and truly has left me unable to work. I don’t know what to say to help you apart from sadly it might be a good idea to stop working temporarily because I would imagine that would look better on your CV than being sacked for poor attendance.

good luck to you 

• Posted

Hi jo,

Can I ask how did you leave your job did you tell them you was to ill to work how are you surviving can I claim any sick benefit for this illness but if I give up work the government might penalize me for leaving employment I just don't know where to turn . it is so streeful having this to live with day in day out having to carry extra clothing and wipes etc with you . I'm so happy in a way not that you have this but you do have it and you know exactly what it entails in life , its not good is it . thanks for writing anyway .

• Posted

You have been through alot. It's a very traumatic experience, and yet even after you have gone through so much your body betrays you again. I feel your pain. I would apply for disability, temporary and SSD (Social security disability). Then I would ask my job for extended time off through ADA. American disability Act and make accommodations for you....maybe a different position? Then if you get fired...unemployment until you can possibly get approved for SAD, as this is a chronic situation for you, and very painful to work with, walk, sit, do daily activities.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.