Living with a depressed Girlfriend, advice appreciated.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, this is my first post to this forum, its not about myself, its about my girlfriend.

She hasn't been diagnosed as having depression yet but to me it is clear its what it is. She tried to get in to the doctors this morning but there were no appointments.

I just drove her to work after she had been crying all morning and working herself up and she asked me to wait outside as she was sent straight home when her boss saw her puffy eyes and blotchy face. Its only started recently but she breaks down in to tears at least 3 times a day. When I ask whats wrong she says shes just had enough of work and life. She has a relatively good job as a dental nurse but she just cant face going in at the minute, she feels she needs a change. She says she feels like life doesn't have a purpose and that it feels like someone has died, but then goes on to say she is perfectly happy with me. We do get on really well still and never argue, and I'm not making it about me but I feel as if I must be doing something wrong to make her feel this way.

It happened the other night also, I go to see my friends once a week and on my way out she burst in to tears and had a panic attack so I stayed in and comforted her.

She's 19 and I'm 22, she hasn't got many friends as they mostly left for UNI so when I do occasionally see mine she says it makes her jealous which could be another reason.

I cant think of anything else that is putting her down in life unless shes holding back on me, she hasnt seen her dad since she was three so I dont know if theres any problem from the past she is bottling up but she seems fine with it. I always try to get her to open up and talk to me about whats getting her down.

After looking up all the symptoms she seems to have them all:

continuous low mood or sadness

feeling hopeless and helpless

having low self-esteem

feeling tearful

feeling guilt-ridden

feeling irritable and intolerant of others

having no motivation or interest in things

finding it difficult to make decisions

not getting any enjoyment out of life

feeling anxious or worried

having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself

She even said this morning I just feel like swallowing a whole bottle of paracetamol. I know she wasn't being serious but not a very nice thing to hear, I would just appreciate advice on how to help her get though this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Brad if you have balls you get her to a gp today and use every bit of energy at her surgery or u google a local walk in medical facility possibly at local hospital , if u ring 111 number hopefully they will advise ? You go together and Today is the beginning of getting her sorted good luck it will not be easy
  • Posted

Hi,

can you not get a emergency appointment insist.

you need to get her some help,don't take no for an answer or be fobbed off.

Or as suggested by Lynne ring 111 they will help and if not your own surgery they get you an appointment with emergency GP

Good Luck

• Posted

You sound like a fab fab young man Brad who desperately loves this lucky young lady who's going to get well with a bit of help and you are very tuned in to that good luck
  • Posted

Get a GP appointment fixed as an emergency. Insist. Otherwise take her into the surgery and sit there, hold her tight, tell them you will not move until a doctor sees her.

You may believe she is suffering from depression but that has to be confirmed. GPs have a specific list of questions they use and when they get over a certain number of positive answers then they can start to prescribe.

If her doctor is unsympathetic and even unhelpful (it can happen) then an immediate transfer to another practice is recommended. This is her right now. Whoever is to treat her must be open and have that level of concern which encourages the patient as well as helping with belief in the prescription.

BUT get her to that GP now.

• Posted

All the posts above are very sensible. The most important thing is to get her assessed by a GP, or if all else fails take her to A&E. Hide or get rid of any paracetamol in the house. Don't blame yourself for her difficulties - sometimes depression just comes. She is lucky to have you to support her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.