Living with a gallstone

Posted , 9 users are following.

If gallbladder itself is healthy, is there any need to have a gallstone surgically removed?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If you have pain then your gallbladder will only get worse so I would recommend removal.

However,if you find it manageable then I would say keep it.

It depends on the symptoms and the individual. I couldnt manage mine.

• Posted

My gallbladder was healthy but it was full of 15 or more marble size gall stones . I had ended up living on boiled potatoe boiled veg no dairy no meat no fat no caffeine to avoid colic vomiting attacks but I still felt fatigued and had a constant billious feeling ...I was undiagnosed for 15 years if I had been diagnosed 10 years earlier had it removed then I could of avoided years of pain and misery .. Plus my anxieties increased and now after removal I am calm .... 

I think the colic attacks are risky if u can avoid them with strict diet you have to ask what is my quality of life..

my heart can't be operated on major heart problems hence she suffers with her gallbladder 4 years ago it split spelling all her stones into her abdomen .. She now has an open sore under her right rib which oozes from her split gallbladder ... They won't remove as its too dangerous for her... She would love it removed .. 

• Posted

That should of read my aunt can't have surgery due to heart problems.. Apologies 
    • Posted

I thought if you had stones then it meant your gallbladder wasn't healthy! You've limited eating and in pain. Nothing can fix that except removal.

I lived with pain for 8 years!! Really wish I'd had it earlier ! Lost so much of my life being in pain

• Posted

Depends if gallstones are causing you a lot of pain.

The thing to watch for is if you become jaundiced.

Sarah

• Posted

I've had gallstones for a number of years.  and yes, they flair up from time to time.  And yes, I've gone to ER a couple of times.  I'm extremely undecided about "yanking" my gall bladder.  And certainly after reading a whole host of these replies and questions, I guess I'm at that point where unless the stones actually block, I'm going to try and keep my gall bladder.  So many of these questions are from people who have had it out and still are having big time problems.  I do take a couple of things, one being Lidan, which is a chinese remedy and seems to help.  So, I guess for now, I'll just have to hope it doesn't get any worse.
    • Posted

I was also in 2minds as to have the op or not. I went online the day before the op &after reading the reviews I got terrified to the point of cancelling it the next day. After speaking to the registrar,Doctor and Surgeon myind was put at ease.

When I returned from the op the surgeon came over and told me it was a good job I had it done,my ducts were very sticky & could have proved fatal had I left it any longer. So im glad I went through with it or I might not be here now.

• Posted

Then I guess my next question would be - and how are you now?  So many people have written in about all the problems they are having since they've had their gall bladder out.
    • Posted

Every single person I've spoken to in real life has been absolutely fine after the op and they all tell me how much better I'll be after I've had mine done. I think people seek answers when it goes wrong but when it's gone right, it's a bit of a secret club really. I'm amazed at just how many people I know who have had their gallbladder out. I had no idea it was so common. Only now people say 'oh I had that done and it changed my life'. That's got to be positive :-)
    • Posted

Coming up 2 years absolutely no regrets .. No complications .. Have enjoyed rediscovering foods again 😀👏 put on weight oops.. No pain.. No gastritus or heartburn can eat curry again. 

Only get a dull ache on right side if I eat too much fat I mean loads of fat ... Guess my liver is struggling to produce enough bile so I avoid going mad with fat ... 

Day surgery went well , healed well, started eating what I wanted 3 days after operation couldn't believe it .. Cured ..

but most people aren't going to blog on here if all went well there are too busy enjoying life.. I am a carer to my hubby and have time ,..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.