Living with an alcoholic

Posted , 7 users are following.

My husband is an alcoholic. He admitted it to a health care professional while hospitalized for internal bleeding. Where he was close to dying. After going through detox in the hospital, he came out sober and that lasted a month. He has now refused to get help of any kind.He is in complete denial. He can maybe go 1 day without drinking.  He won't accept that he has cirrhosis and absolutely should not be drinking.   Due to being hospitalized he couldn't work. He won't find work now. When he is sober he's a different person. When he drinks beer mostly now, he is vile, hateful and nasty.

How do you get someone to seek help? He has hit what would be rock bottom for alot of people but hasn't made a change for him.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to tell you that you can do nothing.

All you can do is leave or ask him to leave.

I don't care how long you have been married...he only has 2 choices..quit or die.

I'm glad you posted and of course we will talk to you, comfort you..etc.  But, it still will not make him stop.

I'm an alcoholic....I could never stop for anyone even my children...and i do LOVE them.  This condition is powerful and more powerful than you can even imagine unless you have lived it.

But just because it is so hard to stay away from...does not mean that you have to continue to live in pain...i'm really sorry that you may think that there is a clear cut answer....but there isn't sad

• Posted

That's a wonderful response, breathtakingly beautiful in it's simplicity and honesty.

I am not an alcoholic but raw truth such as yours helps those who are, and those who are not, understand that alcoholism and it's grip upon a person, is a terrible, merciless illness.

Great post! Just great!

Helen xx

• Posted

Hi helen...I do not think I have seen you post before.

But, thank you and anyone here..that would be the first to reply to this post that is aware of what alcohol does to a person a family and friends...would have probably given the same reply sad.

So sad but true, and welcome.

• Posted

Hello Missy,

as a rule I am on the Anxiety Disorder Forum

However,

with the changing face of society, it's problems and a new honesty, we all have to learn/ understand about issues such as alcoholism. If not a vitctim then in all likelihood we know someone who is.

Like the anxiety Forum, here the sharing of those who are suffering, is vital.

Support, advice, somewhere to go when overwhelmed. Priceless.

For those who have not fallen victim, how can we help, suport, understand  those who have, if we stick our heads in the sand? If we adopt an attitude of " it's not happening to me so I'll ignore" ? That,  in my humble opinion, shameful

Suffering is suffering, no matter how or what ignites it. Turning our faces away is not the answer

I often read the posts on this site. They make me sad, yes, but they also make me proud of those who struggle on regardless, who reach out to help others.

Unselfishness at it's very best

I salute you one and all

Hugs

Helen

• Posted

"thumbs up" to you...I wish the site had the same icons as 'Facebook'

• Posted

I wish the site would just work. I don't understand why some in the uk don't have any problems posting. It's dreadful and so frustrating

• Posted

I understand how you feel.  I struggled with this site for a while about 6 months ago....but all of a sudden have no problems at all.

My replies : used to freeze after every letter or every 2 letters.  I almost gave up completely on the site.  I understand why someone WOULD give up completely.

The only thing I did different was what ADE suggested.  Instead of clicking the big "E" for the internet.  I installed Google Chrome and I have not had a problem since.

• Posted

Good job I looked in spam, lol. Your response and vickylou's were both in spam!

• Posted

So if sadgirl is using her e-mail to check replies...than she is not getting these replies...smart of you to check your "spam"!

• Posted

Absolutely!

This has happened before on the Anxiety Forum....I've started checking spam to ensure I don't miss a response. How ignorant would I appear, not replying to someone who has taken the time to reach out?

Major bad mannered

• Posted

I always talk crap Helen, surprised it wasn't in trash lol!

• Posted

HI Sadgirl..Missy is right..no easy solution and this seems to be too late...do not mean to be negative but all we can do here is to give you support...Robin
    • Posted

It is sad Robin, you, misssy and I have more or less said the same thing. I don't think it's as simple as him just being in denial, he's not bothered and will just carry on doing as he wants.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.