Living with an Aortic Aneurysm

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello,

I've been diagnosed with an Ascending Aortic Aneurysm size 4.5 and I inundated  with stress and depression. Like most of you this was completed out of the blue and I'm currently in the researching stage of dealing with this. Currently my doctor has me on Valsartan, Coreg and Lipitor hoping to stop the growth. He stated that people can live with this for decades if you're able to stop the growth. My questions to all of you is are there any members on this board who have been able to successfully stop the growth for many years (five or more) and if this is a possibility. Unfortunately Ascending Aortic Aneurysm's are only repaired via open heart surgery and I'm only 39 with kids, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole thing. Fortunately I was able to find this site and it's been providing my strength during this difficult time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated .

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

After 20 years as a cop, I am about to retire and enjoy life. I was just told I had a 3.7 cm Aortic Aneurysm. It was caught by accident through a CT scan. I survived shootings and crazy stuff and this comes as a surprise as I am about to retire. My attitude is I will do my part as to eating healthy and excercise, etc.... I give everything to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. My life is in his hand all the way and I am not worried about it. I can only find real comfort in Him. I hope you do too. God bless. Good luck

• Posted

I about to retire from the Navy and found out I had 3.8cm.

• Edited

Dear TAA sufferers, I want to give you an update on my story. Diagnosed approx 5 years ago with a dilation of 4.2cm I went through all the emotions of fear, despair and sadness but gradually returned to normal. My younger sister was the first to discover our familial condition. Her aneurysm was discovered at 5.4 and she had elective surgery making a full recovery. I have been monitored yearly through Echo, CT scans and MRI's and measurement appears to be unchanged. I am now 60, fit and healthy. I do yoga regularly, don't smoke and eat mostly plant based food and some fish. I have just returned from a two week holiday in Peru and Bolivia. I trekked up to the Sun Gate in Machu Picchu and walked extensively around Lake Ticicaca and the Uyuni Salt Lake. I was a bit worried about the altitude which at times reached 4,200m but I was fine. I wanted to share this because when I was first diagnosed, I was paralysed with fear and thought that my life had changed forever. I now hardly think about it and should my aneurysm grow and I need surgery, I hope that I will recover as well as my sister did. AA

• Posted

Thats great! I found out about mine 7 months ago and still no growth. Theres a Facebook group for TAA. image

• Posted

Glad to hear you are living your life as opposed to retreating backwards. Your trip to Peru sounds awesome. My wife and I are both retired, both of us are working out daily, enjoying retirement and quite healthy. I think about my AA just about everyday, particularly when I do strength training. I have certainly backed off the real heavy stuff, but still try to challenge myself.

My doctors are aware of what I do, and I strictly follow their recommendations and consequently, my AA has not grown since it was discovered.

I wish all of you guys, the best of holidays, good medical and mental health, and I look forward to future postings with good reports from all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.